constant voltage regulator

Electrical & Ignition

1. ksurfer2

ksurfer2 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:19 PM
    As I continue to dig further into the inner workings of my 69 RR I am learning new stuff daily. Now I am getting into the ignition. On the firewall, there is a blue module with part number P-3690732 stamped on it. A Google search reveals this is a Mopar Performance Constant Voltage Regulator. Ads for it list it as a product for race applications only. This is running on my street car. What if anything should I be concerned about with this product? Is it worth swapping out for something else? If so, what would be a good replacement. Car runs fine. However, I was having issues with batteries slowing dying over a couple of months (I attributed this to the car sitting occasionally for a few weeks at a time). A battery tender seems to have solved this and I have had no battery issues since I started using one.

2. toolmanmike

toolmanmike Moderator Staff Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    6:19 PM
    I think the constant regulators provide alternator output constantly to power MSD Ignitions. You probably don't need that on the street. I would put a oem regulator back on.

3. Ranger16

Ranger16 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:19 PM
    Wells VR706 voltage regulator. I've been running it on my '69 Road Runner ever since the factory mechanical regulator was over charging. No problems since.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • SDCoronet

SDCoronet Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      4:19 PM
      I installed that vr on my 67 years ago when i bought and installed the mopar electronic distributor kit. It seemed to work just fine for many years, and only 2 weeks ago died on me. I will replace it with another one from Summit here very soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • moparedtn

moparedtn Ed on the Ridge FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        7:19 PM
        Ditto. I've always installed the Mopar electronic regulator that utilizes the factory wiring any time I've converted a car to Mopar electronic ignition.
        Mounts in the same place as the points type regulator, too. Easy peasy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.