• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Contemplating a new engine conversion

Originally swapped my 6.1L into my 68 Charger back in 2008... things have come a long way since then. Getting the engine physically in the car is a bolt in affair - if you want you can go the "old" route and run a A518 or a TF727 with Gear Vendors... Or run the modern trans... or manual...

I am currently piecing together a 7.0L stroker with supercharger to replace my 6.1L - I am running a Viper T-56 with 3.55 gears - but I have a 3.91 pumpkin waiting to go in as well.

The engine controller is the magic and what scares most people off - I made my original harness by using a factory '05 ram harness and making it work for my purpose.

I recently made a completely new harness after sourcing all the connectors to run the Gen III on a MS3X as Holley hadn't released their Terminator X yet... but building the harness was actually pretty fun considering...

With your skill-set you'll be fine.

I am not sure about dropping them into a '64... the K member may pose a problem due to the weird stancheon mount but I haven't looked too much into it as my '64 is getting a 440...

Mine was a test mule, prototype and the look was meant to be, saying look at me!! I have no desire to change it, I'm just the pilot. You can dress them up.
16-Dodge-Charger-392-3.jpg
hemipowdercoat.jpg

What can one expect to pay for a good low mileage 5.7 and manual/automatic transmission from a wreck and what's the estimated cost of the project once all completed?

Last edited:
What can one expect to pay for a good low mileage 5.7 and manual/automatic transmission from a wreck and what's the estimated cost of the project once all completed?
I've been tracking for several years, covid and supply chain stuff have raised the price. If you can find a verified running 2014+ take out with accessories for 2500-3000 that's pretty good. Some with transmission have been in the 3-4k range still.
392's (not truck 6.4) are 5-8k, hellcat/trans seem to sell quick at 11-12k but most are advertised at 15k

Imo you definitely want an Eagle, and 14/15+ should get you the better lifters. And if you but a truck 5.7 and you want manual steering those have electric steering and so you don't have to eliminate the pump. Course if you do want ps you have to think about that.

I understand the appeal, of course - I only ask that folks not do these sorts of things to the "pedigree" cars...
Kills me to see one that had numbers matching and the whole she-bang "converted".
The hobby needs as many original cars as possible to represent the era for future generations IMO.

I understand the appeal, of course - I only ask that folks not do these sorts of things to the "pedigree" cars...
Kills me to see one that had numbers matching and the whole she-bang "converted".
The hobby needs as many original cars as possible to represent the era for future generations IMO.

Agreed and not my intentions.

5.7 adequate. But no excitement. 6.1, 6.2, or 6.4. Unless a KB Blower is installed. It‘s the cure for a 5.7.

F0A9F459-E95F-494E-80C2-5CDFA542D2D1.png

Last edited:
I’m not too sure on that. I had a 5.7, with a 6.1 intake, 545rfe trans and 3:91’s, that thing would scoot!!

Auto Transport Service
Back