• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Contemplating a new engine conversion

Maybe, but mine pulls hard and smooth.
I got two of them with considerable miles on them (factory installed in vehicles intended for them) and they both
have been flawless - and fun!

Definitely want the eagle heads. 2010 and up I believe. Ditch the MDS (replace solenoids with blanks), sounds terrible with a non stock exhaust when it kicks in. I personally would make the investment in a Holley or other aftermarket PCM and get the factory out of your classic.

This is a 6.1 in my satellite. Went with a OCP intake to make it look a little more old school. Runs and drives awesome! Still a work in progress but still drive the wheels off of it. You won’t regret doing it.
D7E0D2DE-16BD-41DF-BB50-B16A01D50452.jpeg

This is a 6.1 in my satellite. Went with a OCP intake to make it look a little more old school. Runs and drives awesome! Still a work in progress but still drive the wheels off of it. You won’t regret doing it.
View attachment 1299721
is that the new holley timing cover/accessory system?

It is. I was running a stock car cover but am adding ac. The Holley set up is really nice and fits everything a lot better than stock.

It looks nice in the catalog! Price hurts to look at though.
For my Coronet, which is a race car, my plan is late model truck with the elec ps so the fmea works as is with an ac delete idler.
If I eventually do a gen III in my fury I'll need ps and ac

Nothing is cheap anymore and life’s too short so do what makes you happy!

I've got a car that I'm contemplating; a '64 Plymouth wagon. I'm sure that no one offers an EFI equipped gas tank, which leads me to ask if a stock tank can be modified or can someone make a custom tank? If so, has anyone got a source?

Tanks makes the parts you need to modify a stock tank for fuel injection.

FWIW, I've been running the 383 in my Fury on efi since 2009 and boosted since 2012 with a walbro 255 pump hanging on the frame rail sucking through the oem pickup. In fact, the same pump since 2009. Street car, idle traffic heat, 4hr road trips, etc. It makes some noise but keeps on running. Of course an in tank pump runs cooler and quieter and in theory should run longer but I've proven to myself the simpler solution also works.

I've got a car that I'm contemplating; a '64 Plymouth wagon. I'm sure that no one offers an EFI equipped gas tank, which leads me to ask if a stock tank can be modified or can someone make a custom tank? If so, has anyone got a source?
Yes you can retro fit a stock tank with an intank pump using either something like what holley offers or make you own which isn't super difficult. The hardest part is passing the wires through the sealing plate in a way which will not leak. The pump part is very easy, just buy a pump (like a Walbro 255 or similar), then take a stock sending unit, determine the distance and cut off the inlet tube and replace it with the new pump and screen. You can add a piece of strap if you like for stability and then run the wires up through the plate.

I did this for a 69 Ply Wagon for a client and while the car is not yet finished I am very confident it will work fine.

I hate the way they look honestly but I would consider putting one in an A-body to make a handling car.
It’s the sound for me. I’m just a cruiser, and I can’t get that 70’s cammed idle out of my expectation of a classic muscle car. But I totally understand someone wanting a turn key engine that you could drive 300 miles without incident. Having said that, the GTX I’m building will also have a Strange S60 with 4:10 gears. 4 speed car, so just for around town mostly. That may change eventually.

I have a 5.7 too (in my pickup). Sure they work but when I had my 76-78 400 trucks I was pretty confident they would bust 100K easily with just oil changes, plugs and the occasional carb rebuild. They didn't need the heads pulled off and camshaft and lifters changed before that time. No broken exhaust manifolds and studs either. The gasket technology is better now but these new engines wouldn't work so good with an uncomplicated 3 speed transmission either. Just a different time and requirements these days. That's why I like the classic stuff, it's the whole package I like. However what works for me isn't what works for everyone else.

I appreciate all of the replies, but I won't be doing a new engine conversion. This one-owner original slant six Barracuda was just delivered to me today from Las Vegas ....

IMG_6269.jpg

IMG_6278.jpg

IMG_6279.jpg

IMG_6277.jpg

IMG_6268.jpg

It's now got a 5.7 crate engine, a crate 5-speed automatic transmission, coil-over front suspension, rack & pinion steering, air conditioning, Ford 9" rear end, 4-wheel disc brakes & air conditioning. This car was originally sold about a half hour from me in Massachusetts and all the work was done in RI. In 2015 the original owner wanted the car done over and upgraded with a modern drivetrain & suspension, yet still have the look as when they bought it new in 1969 with whitewalls, hubcaps and single exhaust. He didn't care what it cost him ....that's what he wanted. The couple would winter in Nevada and eventually they moved permanently out there. I guess they put about 12-15,000 miles on the new drivetrain before the husband died. The wife sold it to a dealership out there, which is where i found it.

My plans are to change the wheels & tires & a few other things to personalize it to suite me.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back