• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Convertible quarter panel question

wedgie

Local time
7:12 PM
Reaction score
Hoping that someone can tell me about the bracing that goes from the wheel well to the inside of the quarter panel on an early B convertible. Appears to have some type of rubbery material between the brace and the quarter. Is it an adhesive?

convertible quarter brace01.jpg

convertible quarter brace02.jpg

I have those same braces on my '64 Polara convertible, but I've not had to touch them during the restoration of the car. I believe that they were spot welded to the quarter at the factory and I have the same type of undercoat over mine that you show in your pics. My guess is that any type of rubber material, undercoat, etc.. in that area was applied for rust protection and/or sound deadening back then.

Hoping to find out before working on the quarter panel.

My 65 satellite convertible. The braces appear to be adjustable and removable.I would unbolt and remove if you need to do bodywork. Looks like the thing you’re talking about is there to avoid metal on metal.

IMG_1453.jpeg

IMG_1452.jpeg

IMG_1451.jpeg

Body stiffening for verts, spot-welded. As such, didn’t mess with trying to remove them during restoration I did in prep for later body work/paint. This is a CA car never seeing salt; but there were a couple spots needing cut out and pieces welded back in, one of them was along a section L-side, where these panels reside. Great area for catching water given the holes for trim. There was lots of heavy undercoating with surface rusting galore underneath, I scraped and wire-wheeled off, coating with rust-stop then using a metal primer, 2-3 coats with brush applied, as did for the entire trunk and cabin.

20170323_120405.jpg

Body stiffening for verts, spot-welded. As such, didn’t mess with trying to remove them during restoration I did in prep for later body work/paint. This is a CA car never seeing salt; but there were a couple spots needing cut out and pieces welded back in, one of them was along a section L-side, where these panels reside. Great area for catching water given the holes for trim. There was lots of heavy undercoating with surface rusting galore underneath, I scraped and wire-wheeled off, coating with rust-stop then using a metal primer, 2-3 coats with brush applied, as did for the entire trunk and cabin.

View attachment 1607612
Hope I can mine into the paint booth within 2 years. What color are you going with?

Mine has red interior so I’m kinda stuck with white, black or red.

Will you try the convertible top yourself?

Your 65 looks great!

Auto Transport Service
Back