• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converting 1966 Steering Column from Column to floor shift

German_Mopar

Local time
6:19 PM
Reaction score
Hi,

I am converting my 1966 Belvedere with a 727 Coloumn Shift to a 4 Speed manual.

I want to get rid of the shift indicator on the column. The collars I can find are only 68 and up, I guess they are different and you need a 66 one ?
Next question is: The lever at the end of the column for the shift linkage is there a way to eliminate that, or is cutting off the only way ?

Claus

Find a used column for a floor shift

I’m curious as well. My buddy got the flaming river column spent about a grand on it. He gave up trying to find a used column.

If you're the "do it yourself" type of person you could do this. Not sure about the linkage but i assume it can be removed and made to work.

I gave up trying to find one at a cost that didn’t empty my wallet. I took Mine, cut off The indicator housing and gearshift lever bump, filled the holes in with epoxy, sanded and painted.

Did a 67 like Mike Szadaj ^^^. You can disassemble the column removing the shaft and then removing the shift tube.
I cut a small tin plate then J-B weld (a epoxy here) it to the inside and filled the void from the indicator with more J-B sand and paint.

Did a 67 like Mike Szadaj ^^^. You can disassemble the column removing the shaft and then removing the shift tube.
I cut a small tin plate then J-B weld (a epoxy here) it to the inside and filled the void from the indicator with more J-B sand and paint.
That is exactly what I did. Great minds think alike

Thx a lot guys.

I am not willing to spend hundreds of Dollars for a used column and again 200 bucks to ship it to germany.

Will do the same with jb weld.

When it comes time to paint it the best (IMHO) color to use is “Landau Black” made by SEM. From what I have heard, that is the color that was used by mopar. I have also heard SEM is the only supplier. Every time I have used it I have been completely satisfied with the way it matches oem parts

IMG_2532.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back