• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converting a 73 charger to manual brake question?

440 Charger

Local time
5:24 AM
Reaction score
Hello all. So in a nutshell changing over from a 318 to a 440 going to make motor mounts. After dropping the 440 in for mock up the motor needs to go about an inch and a half to the drivers side but the brake booster hits the valve cover. Stock valve covers might work but really like the cast tall. Don't care about power brakes at all and want to get this on the road. Working on a hydroboost system that would give the room but in the mean time would like to go back to just a master cyl to keep up the progress. Have any done the swap? Thank you all for any input.

did you change the k member or use the schumacker conversion mounts? i installed a 440 with tall valve covers and had no problem with the power brake booster.

I don't know that much about the 73 and up cars, but the 72 and down had the engine offset to the passenger side. Mine is offset 1 1/4" or so.

You are talking about a virtual bolt in. Any reason you are making your own mounts ? More to converting to manual brakes than just the master. Different leverage on the brake pedal ( different linkage set-up ). Moving engine offset affect transmission to differential angles. Usually any one change from factory specs affects 2 other things that were designed from the factory. Just making more work for yourself. Unless you just need something to do...

You are talking about a virtual bolt in. Any reason you are making your own mounts ? More to converting to manual brakes than just the master. Different leverage on the brake pedal ( different linkage set-up ). Moving engine offset affect transmission to differential angles. Usually any one change from factory specs affects 2 other things that were designed from the factory. Just making more work for yourself. Unless you just need something to do...
Very true .Making this one Mine in time.

Kinda dont like factory that was just works.

Very smart.

Yep, centering the motor on a Mopar is a mistake.
Not going to center now decided to put headders on and see where it likes to fit the original brake booster is no way so working on my hydroboost.

Auto Transport Service
Back