• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converting flat hood to Air Grabber

image copied from someone else...might help you see how the door is attached
910870_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=HlNjc-Aoa80AX9hd7DE&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

image copied from someone else...might help you see how the door is attached View attachment 1057810
It appears to me that the door is attached directly to the duct box.

OK, another question: Is the duct box the same as a 70 Plymouth and 71-72 Dodge? My research is conflicting as some sites list it all as the same while others claim it to be different. I can't imagine that they are all selling different boxes; I'd think most if not all of the vendors are all getting it at the same place?

Awesome info fellas. Considering converting mine if I can find all of the pieces.

20170311_163324.jpg

OK, another question: Is the duct box the same as a 70 Plymouth and 71-72 Dodge? My research is conflicting as some sites list it all as the same while others claim it to be different. I can't imagine that they are all selling different boxes; I'd think most if not all of the vendors are all getting it at the same place?

Correct, the hinge for the door connects to the underhood duct which in turn connects to the fiberglass bubble. The fiberglass bubble supports everything (there is one screw toward the back of the underhood duct that also braces it to the hood)

Original ones are different from a 70 to 71-2 I think there is a molded line in it or an extra hole.. Can't recall right now brain fade. It will fit but there is a visual difference...

Original ones are different from a 70 to 71-2 I think there is a molded line in it or an extra hole.. Can't recall right now brain fade. It will fit but there is a visual difference...

It's going on a Satellite Sebring Plus anyway so not really concerned about if it looks correct, just going after the cool factor.

Thanks again for all of the info fellas, it's been a big help.

Anybody done this and taken lots of pictures they'd be willing to share? I bought a repop'd bubble and door but really have never seen any pictures of what the hood looks like without the reinforcement ring installed or how the hinge bolts to the door.

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks in advance...

Their's a huge difference in the gage of metal a real Air Grabber Hood is at least 25LBS heavier then a bubble hood opening the door for air grabber idk if traveling at high speed if hood will buckle. I was lucky I got a hold of a real NOS Air Grabber Hood.

Their's a huge difference in the gage of metal a real Air Grabber Hood is at least 25LBS heavier then a bubble hood opening the door for air grabber idk if traveling at high speed if hood will buckle. I was lucky I got a hold of a real NOS Air Grabber Hood.
Are you trying to say the hood stampings on original N96 hoods use heavier gauge metal than original non-N96 flat hoods? If so, that makes no sense whatsoever.

Auto Transport Service
Back