• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coolant mist on window under load

Jtucker66

Local time
12:36 PM
Reaction score
I have a 440 that I rebuilt and have a champion 26 inch rad.
Car has no hood for now....

Anyways when I step on it( not even real heavily) I get coolant misting my windshield. If I floor it it gets wetter... Like small droplets.

The mech fan is probably blowing it back but not sure why this happens. It has a overflow tube going 3/4 the way down the Rad of the rad with no tank. Also it's dry around the rad cap. No water pump leaks or anything. Everything is brand new and clean. Is my milodon pump pressuring the system to the point the cap starts to release?

Thanks

The first thing I'd try is putting a temporary catch can on the overflow hose. It might be pushing out of there and hitting the fan. If thats it... as far as why, is the radiator overfilled at all maybe?

Also does it do it whether hot or cold?

3/4 of the way down is probably your problem. It should be at or near the bottom of the radiator. That would be my guess anyway.

first i would put an over flow container on it. then i would pressure test the system. .02

On the inside or outside of windshield? If on the inside then it sounds like a leaky heater core to me.

Overflow can! Get one It helped me leaving coolant all over the place is not cool (no pun intended) and if you ever step on to the track for fun you will have to have it. I got this one -

5d1e1db5.gif

Overflow can! Get one It helped me leaving coolant all over the place is not cool (no pun intended) and if you ever step on to the track for fun you will have to have it. I got this one -

5d1e1db5.gif

ill try this then thanks. also I did not kmnow a cooling system can be over filled... is this true? been workin on cars for some time now and built this wholecar. just sounds like something I ahouldve known if its true

I got this can cuz it has the visual tube on the front, I mounted it in front of the car opposite the rad driver side. At first I had mine over filled and when hot it would spew out the bleed hole on the top of the lid, drained some out so the tube shows 1/4 to 1/2 full and the rad is just about a 1/4" below the top and it runs cool and stays like that all the time. It is just what it is a catch can the rad over flows to it and takes it back when needed. works like a charm and looks good. good price too got mine from Summit $76.95 there are a lot of choices from summit or jegs etc..I just wanted what i wanted for catch and return not just catch.

Yeah if you fill the system completely full when cold, when hot the expansion of the fluid will cause it to push out the overflow. But, once it boils out a couple times it should be at the right level and you shouldn't see big amounts come out. Without a catch can I imagine a bit would come out here and there even when it's at the correct level.

Just saw one in the Mancini racing catalog for $49 looks like same size.

First thing I did was throw the radiator cap away that came with my champion radiator it was cheap junk. The radiator on the other hand is just fine. I would recommend adding a overflow can.

i ordered the overflow and also i saw some small droplets around the fitting on top of my water pump housing that the heater core hoses fit on. i am going to take em out when i put in my new thermostat and thread tape them. or anerobis sealer.

this seems to be the only issue left before i go to a buddies dyno on friday so thanks for all the help.

Auto Transport Service
Back