• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel not pulling from tank

Laner55

Local time
6:38 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a fuel delivery problem for my 66 Plymouth Belvedere II.

The engine is a 273 and I recently went to start the car and noticed the fuel pump seemed to not be working. I got a new mechanical fuel pump and replaced it, but still have no fuel pumping through it.

I tried a vacuum pump and was able to easily pull fuel easily through the new pump and up through the filter. However, when I release the vacuum, the gas goes back through the filter and pump. I checked all of the rubber lines and had no leaks or puddles anywhere under the car. My first though was there is a crack in the rubber or a pinhole in the fuel line. I replaced the rubber line from the tank to the metal fuel line thinking there may have been a failure there. There was not. I blew air back through to the tank and could hear it gurgling the fuel, so I don't believe there is a blockage. I also took the gas cap off thinking the tank could be holding back some pressure and still nothing.

I am really at a loss aside from checking the cam lobe inside the engine that would run the arm on the fuel pump. With that being said, I'm contemplating on running an electric fuel pump.

I was just curious if this has ever happened to anyone else and what can be done to fix the problem.

I'd try a different pump first before going the electric route.
Parts quality ain't what it used to be - you very well may have a new but bad one.

One may need to look at the push rod sir. Also.....check the gas cap, breather system and venting for the tank. It would be really rare for that to get so bad that it creates a vacuum.

Small blocks don't use a rod. Arm rides on the fuel pump eccentric bolted to the cam. Check to see if the arm is on the correct side of the eccentric when installed. Also check to see if the eccentric is still tight.

Fuel pump should have check valves in it's ports.... so fuel shouldn't be able to drain back.

Sounds like another bad "new" part...
Get another pump.

Auto Transport Service
Back