• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copal 703 Custom

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:03 AM
Reaction score
I have not been very active in the last couple weeks due to personal circumstances. (Just look up the last thread i started here)
But today i did some DIY stuff that i thought might be worth sharing.

Anyway,
I needed a new alarm clock so i bought a vintage Copal 703 flip clock with alarm feature. Very nice looking 70s clock.
Unfortunately these have an inbuilt light that is permanently on.
You can't turn it off and i can't sleep like that with the whole room lit up. I didn't knew that pre purchase obviously.

So i decided to try modifying it with a switch for being able to turn on/off the light as i like.
Today i successfully did that.
It was actually pretty easy. The hardest part was the 3 wires soldered to the middle pin of the "black box".
I had to unsolder all 3 and then later resolder 3 wires on there. Not to easy because you also cant access that area very well.
But i managed to get that done aswell. :)

Now i have a very nice looking, actually usable alarm clock. :)
I attached some pictures below.

For those interested in getting a flip clock:
The battery powered units usually have no inbuilt light (braun phase 2 for example) or have a switch (Copal T11 for example).
But most of the battery powered variants do noticeably tick. (Which my socket powered copal 703 does not)
From the research that i've done i SUSPECT the battery powered models with Quartz Movement (Especially from Copal, Seiko/Lorus, Citizen Brands)
will be just as quiet as my socket powered Copal 703. But i'm not 100% sure since i have not owned one yet.
There are different types of quartz movements, some tick and some don't. So it depends on the exact type of quartz movement used.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Readme.jpeg

& there are not photos ^^^ of said flip clock/or work performed

you do know this is a B-Body car forum, right ?

interesting
Very Interesting Laugh In's Arte Johnson Nazi 1a.jpg

& there are not photos ^^^ of said flip clock/or work performed

Yes i already edited the post and uploaded them. But they get resized and are to small to really see any details.
So if someone is interested in seeing the details/instructions/explanation click these links:

you do know this is a B-Body car forum, right ?

Well i thought it might be of some interest for some. I posted it in the off topic section. :)
This whole "flip clock" thing cost me A LOT of time. I originally just wanted to buy some alarm clock and be done with it...

I know probably no one here on FBBO cares but i wanted to update this with the lastest information anyway. :D

For those interested in getting a flip clock:
The battery powered units usually have no inbuilt light (braun phase 2 for example) or have a switch (Copal T11 for example).
But most of the battery powered variants do noticeably tick. (Which my socket powered copal 703 does not)
From the research that i've done i SUSPECT the battery powered models with Quartz Movement (Especially from Copal, Seiko/Lorus, Citizen Brands)
will be just as quiet as my socket powered Copal 703. But i'm not 100% sure since i have not owned one yet.
There are different types of quartz movements, some tick and some don't. So it depends on the exact type of quartz movement used.

Meanwhile i bought a second flip clock, this one:
Citizen Flip Clock 8RD102 | eBay (Citizen 8RD102)
It's a japanese model that i bought directly from japan.

Turns out i was right. It does not noticably tick. It's just as quiet as my socket powered copal 703.

But it additionally:
- is battery instead of socket powered
- has an inbuilt light you can turn on/off with the press of a button

So if you want a battery powered flip clock with alarm feature that does not tick and without a permanent light look for a citizen, seiko or copal brand unit with quartz movement.

I would stay away from everything else unless you specifically want a socket powered unit.

That said those units (including my citizen) usually have a control led that flashes every second. But if that turns out to be a problem i will just unsolder it from the pcb. No big deal for a DIY type of person and with that probably most people on fbbo. :)

Edit: Those who do not have a control led usually do not have an inbuilt light at all.

Auto Transport Service
Back