• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coronet R/T Roof skin install question

GreenR/T

Local time
11:02 AM
Reaction score
I’m in the process of fitting a new roof skin on my ‘69 Coronet R/T and I need to get some measurements to make sure I get it placed correctly. Does anyone have centerline measurements for the windshield and rear window openings? Also if there are better measurements to go by please let me know, it’s my first time re-skinning a roof so there’s a lot of learn-as-I-go happening.

This AMD roof skin has enough movement in it that I’d like to at least have some measurements to verify so I don’t get all the way through paint and headliner install just to realize the opening is too small or too big for glass to fit. I know that the centerline of the rear glass is 27-1/4” and the windshield appears to be about 21-1/4” but I’m unsure of the perimeter gap to get the opening measurement. I know these cars were never built with millimeter precision in mind, I’m just looking for numbers I can use to make sure I’m not off in left field somewhere.

Maybe show us some pictures of what you are asking about and what it looks like now.

Ok, got some pictures…

Here are the measurements I’m looking for (either or both):
376A4803-C97C-45C3-A763-C787A4FA78FD.jpeg

1ADD7E79-D3D9-49A2-B33A-6F3D01982D66.jpeg

The fit of the skin is good but not perfect as can be seen here where the bend for the A-pillars is:

C4729D1A-55E7-42D8-85C9-1E2FF2C6002D.jpeg

I just want to make sure I’m about in the right place before I try to manipulate things to fit.

The best way to do thiis is to mock it up with the front and rear glass sitting in their places. You need to see how the glass sits so that you can adjust the positioning of the roof skin to the glass. Even getting the measurements you need may not be accurate. You could end up with a situation where everything is welded and you can't get the glass to go in during installation. Fit the roof skin with all the glass mounted. Maybe double sided tape can be used to temporarily mount the glass so you can position the roof skin.

Auto Transport Service
Back