• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct finish on 1970 GTX 440 Dual Snorkle Air Cleaner

moparmusclecars

Local time
7:19 AM
Reaction score
Is there some rattle can paint I can use to duplicate the finish on my Dual Snorkle Air Cleaner on a 1970 GTX 440? My understanding is it is suppose to be a black wrinkle finish. If so, where do I buy it? VHT SP201 close? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have not used that brand, but I’ve had good success with the spray can wrinkle finish paints. A really good wash and prime is important. I let my spray primer dry for a week or so.

I don’t recall what brand of wrinkle paint I used, maybe Krylon, but I did not use any primer. Key is to spray on a warm, dry day and follow the paint instructions exactly. I believe I used a hair dryer to help with heat. Basically, you spray thicker, but not enough to cause runs. Then wait the time stated in the directions, which is usually fairly short like 3-5 minutes and respray. I believe the brand I used recommended 3 applications. Also, the short time between re-application is to cause the wrinkles.
Ron

Local shop blasted mine and powder coated it in the wrinkle finish for $75. He said he had a bunch of motorcycle stuff to do with the same stuff so he cut me a deal I believe.

C83A3A95-E4CC-431D-B61A-2244B986476C.jpeg

$75 is a deal

Looks great

Had mine powder coated around ten years ago for the same price
Best thing I could have done honestly , still looks brand new

Got another quote for a friend was over $200 based on blasting
But like you said if they can do the same product on multiple applications , just have to ask

$75 is a deal

Looks great

Had mine powder coated around ten years ago for the same price
Best thing I could have done honestly , still looks brand new

Got another quote for a friend was over $200 based on blasting
But like you said if they can do the same product on multiple applications , just have to ask
Thanks! I was willing to pay the $200 because I heard that’s what about everyone was paying to do one because the end product turns out great

Auto Transport Service
Back