• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct fuel pump for ‘68 Coronet R/T?

Not in all cases. My 4-23-68 SPD automatic R/T came with 5/16 fuel line, vapor return, and 3/8 sender w/return. The original lines still had the factory undercoating, but I replaced it with 3/8 to match the sender, which wasn't done originally.
I've got a reference book (Charger, RR, & Super Bee Restoration Guide, by Paul Herd, 1994) says the 68-69 HP 440s all got the vapor separator and return line, the lower performance 440s (station wagon, base New Yorker) didn't. This seems consistent with the fact the HP versions got other upgrades as well. My friend Dave Miller's survivor '68 GTX, built 2-68 at Lynch Road, 440 automatic, also had the vapor separator and return line.

Not in all cases. My 4-23-68 SPD automatic R/T came with 5/16 fuel line, vapor return, and 3/8 sender w/return. The original lines still had the factory undercoating, but I replaced it with 3/8 to match the sender, which wasn't done originally.
I knew someone would come up with a different scenario. I wish I would have paid more attention back in the day but didn't. The only reason I remember the issue with or without the 3/8 line with return was because my brother and I both bought new Chargers in 68. His was a 383 4 speed with 3.23 sure grip while mine was a 440 4 speed with 3.55 gears. Mine got the 3/8 upgrade and his didn't. His car had vapor lock issues while mine never did. After some research, we discovered the differences. We found a wrecked Hemi Charger and swapped in the 3/8 sender, lines and vapor separator into his car and never had the vapor lock problem again. I remember speaking with the shop foreman at White Bear Dodge in Minnesota that was up to speed on the Dodge Scat Pack Program and was pretty knowledgeable about the packages that were available at the time. He was the guy that told me about the vapor lock issue that Mopar became aware of early on and what they did to correct it. In retrospect, I should have hung around him a lot more.

Stock for AT 440 HP (Carter 4BBL AVS-4429S).
I have the exact same carb with a M3672 pump. These are 4--5.5psi and works great with both the Carter or Edelbrock AVS2.

My 68 R/T doesn't have a return line, nor a vapor separator. It just has a normal filter on the output of the fuel pump. The majority of my cars are 66-68 and none were equipped with return lines. I can't speak about a 69 as I don't own one. 1970 has a return line and a vapor separator. The pump I listed in my previous post will work for you as you already have a 3/8" line.
I thought that only the six barrel and hemi engines had the vapor separator device and 1/4" return line and both applications used 5/16" suction line from tank to pump.......just my opinion....
BOB RENTON

I thought that only the six barrel and hemi engines had the vapor separator device and 1/4" return line and both applications used 5/16" suction line from tank to pump.......just my opinion....
BOB RENTON
68 service manual states the vapor separator is used with the 440 magnum and Hemi engines.

BOB RENTON
Nope. 440 4 speed B bodies got the 3/8 line with 1/4" return along with the vapor separator. Apparently some Automatics got it too but maybe it was special order. According to my 68 parts book, no C bodies were included in the 3/8 line or the vapor separator.

Last edited:
Baby Blue, my unrestored '68 GTX, 440 automatic, came new with a vapor separator and return line. Car was a December Lynch Road build. My stock numbers matching Hemi GTX was restored with the return line, but no vapor separator, same with my fifth GTX, a '69 numbers matching 440, late build St. Louis car. Both the Hemi and the 440 car performed better after I installed a factory vapor separator.
Thanks! My '68 Coronet R/T is a 12-01 ('67, I think) St. Louis build.

My '68 R/T came with the return line. It is an early St. Louis car. This is before I changed the fuel pump, but it shows the vapor seperator and the return line. The chrome fuel pump didn't work for very long long. The last picture shows the Oreillys fuel pump that I put in recently. I was hung up on the 3/8" line, but 5/16" is adequate, obviously.

View attachment 1507746

View attachment 1507747

View attachment 1507748
Many thanks - super helpful. Thanks! My '68 Coronet R/T is a 12-01 ('67, I think) St. Louis build.

Thanks to everyone here for their posts and insights - have read all, including looking at the helpful pics. So, it turns out my '68 Coronet R/T does in fact have a 1/4" Return Line on it. But, no Fuel Vapor Separator (presumably someone took off the Separator for some reason in the past). The existing Main Line is 3/8". A new Sending Unit that just arrived today is 3/8" with a 1/4" Return, and the new Carter Fuel Pump scheduled to arrive tomorrow has a 3/8" Outlet. So, now I just need to buy a Fuel Vapor Separator from somewhere. I'll begin looking online tomorrow, but please let me know if anyone has one to sell or knows where the best place is to find it. Thanks again!

Try here. I have heard some of the separators are not correct and have the full 1/4" nipple for return. The correct ones have a restricted 1/4" return.
Another alternative I have heard WiX makes one that will work also but the one Mega Parts sells is $40.00. Much cheaper than some vendors. I have had good luck with them. Just make sure the 1/4" nipple has the restriction otherwise you will be starving your engine with too much fuel going back to the tank.

Air/Fuel, Vapor Seperators :Mega Parts USA

I used the Mega Parts separator for my two installs. The pieces I ordered had the correct restriction on the return outlet. Good point to check though, don't want a surprise if vendor starts procuring the part from another source. I think a lot of cars lost their originals when OEM parts became scarce, and there were no reproductions available. If by any chance you have trouble obtaining a correct reproduction, I have an excellent used original that came out of my current GTX when the car went through an OEM restoration twenty years ago.

Last edited:
There is a couple of different vapor seperators on EBAY.

Try here. I have heard some of the separators are not correct and have the full 1/4" nipple for return. The correct ones have a restricted 1/4" return.
Another alternative I have heard WiX makes one that will work also but the one Mega Parts sells is $40.00. Much cheaper than some vendors. I have had good luck with them. Just make sure the 1/4" nipple has the restriction otherwise you will be starving your engine with too much fuel going back to the tank.

Air/Fuel, Vapor Seperators :Mega Parts USA
Many thanks, this will save me time and possible grief. The Mega Parts Separator has no description at all, but trust it based on your experience.

Auto Transport Service
Back