• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct headlight switch - 67 B-body

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:54 AM
Reaction score
My 67 GTX has a 1-1/4 in rheostat switch in it which the Classic parts catalog says is correct. However, my light switch knob sits about 3/16 inch out past the wiper knob. It doesn't look entirely correct. It's a repro unit - no numbers.

I have an old 1-5/8 in rheostat switch, I believe to be out of another 66 or 67 Belvedere I found in the salvage yard years ago that puts the knob release further back about 3/16 inch and would allow the knob to rest about even with the wiper knob. It's an original MOPAR switch PN 2661609. I was thinking about trying this switch out but it looks rode hard and put up wet so I probably just need to get a new one. But Classic says it's for an A- Body and I definitely didn't rob any old parts off of an A-Body. So now I'm not sure which one is really correct now.

Anyone know which is correct? The 1-5/8 unit has an additional dip in the frame to clear the bigger rheostat.

Possibly a couple pictures will help clarify the question.

This is the repro switch in the instrument panel showing how the knob sticks out further than the wiper knob. This looks like the unit Classic says is correct for a 66-67 B-body.

IMG_4592_zpsimrhegjq.jpg

This shows the small rheostat repro compared to the large rheostat switch I pulled out of a junker B-body in a salvage yard about 15 years ago. The difference in position of the knob release illustrates that the knob in the big rheostat piece would seat closer to the dash face.

IMG_4593_zpsnlzqdmpg.jpg

IMG_4595_zpspawq2e80.jpg

I found a photo of the rear of the instrument panel in the service manual and it's hard to make out but it looks to me to have the big rheostat switch in it. But I can't be 100% certain.

I could probably shorten the shaft on the knob and file a new retainer grove in it and make it work - but was thinking about getting a new switch while I have it all apart.

Last edited:
One last try for a response and if not, I'll do something - not sure what.

Ran into same problem. I would shorten the shaft I was lucky and had found an NOS switch few years back, it was pricey but like you said classic, standard motors, year one. are N.G. wish I could help

I have a NOS 2298855 headlight switch as shown. This switch has a lot of superseded part numbers including 2421453 which according to my 66 parts book fits 66 Coronets.This should be correct for your car.
It's for sale if you want it. $55 + shipping

2298855 switch 001:a.jpg 2298855 switch 001:b.jpg 2298855 H'light swt  c.jpg

Thanks for the responses. I had an extra knob/shaft that I cleaned up yesterday, shortened by 3/16 inch and cut a new retainer grove in and reshaped the end and it seems to solve the little issue. Since the generic replacement switch does work OK - I think this is my solution.

Auto Transport Service
Back