• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct installation of green axle bearings.

The collar is to lock the bearing on the axle. Old time mechanics call it a wedding ring. My main advice is that you install the ring correctly, it must be heated, before pushing it on against the bearing. If you don't heat it, it may distort and not hold the bearing in place properly. The ring is a onetime use device, if you press it off it is junk do not try and reuse it.
It's called a shrink fit or interference fit.....usually a 0.0005 - 0.00025 smaller I.D. than the SHAFT's O.D. the collar MUST be heated, then it'll just drop in place and when cooled, it will not move.....just my opinion...
BOB RENTON

Believe what you want. I got my info from a reliable source. So load of bullshit you say.

I don't know about the wheel bearing stuff, but there has been alot of R&D in shipping vehicles by train and ship.
I recall seeing the testing of the Autorack rail cars at the Transportation Test Center (TTC) loaded with cars that were all wired up with sensors to record all the forces that the car were under while being transported.
Found this:
What Is an Autorack Rail Car?

I don't know about the wheel bearing stuff, but there has been alot of R&D in shipping vehicles by train and ship.
I recall seeing the testing of the Autorack rail cars at the Transportation Test Center (TTC) loaded with cars that were all wired up with sensors to record all the forces that the car were under while being transported.
Found this:
What Is an Autorack Rail Car?
Dad bought a 69 New Yucker new and couldn't keep bearings in the rearend. That wasn't the only problem though. The only thing that was good on that car was the 440 engine and I mean that whole car had problems but the 440 ran and ran and ran good. The subject came up it was tided down too tight on the rail car or on the transport truck from the railhead to the stealership. Probably both. Who knows. It was in the stealership way too much getting repairs and he told them to give him a decent tradein on something different. He got a 70 Monaco 383 that gave no trouble. All the years dad had Mopars, that one was the only trouble maker.

Auto Transport Service
Back