• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct rattle can black for under the hood accessories?

Kobrak

Local time
6:20 AM
Reaction score
So I'll need to touch up a few things under the hood as the paint is either missing or flaking. I tired the search, but I'm not sure I have the right search topic as I didn't get any hits. Things like my battery tray, AC compressor brackets etc. Is there a certain color I can get walking into say a Napa or Advanced?

Depending on the part, usually a satin black or a gloss black applies. Or, for grey-metal color, there are several tints, example aluminum or cast-iron. You get the color to match the particular part. You can also check Eastwood for their paints.

I like Krylon Satin Black, if you are not looking for super glossy. I also like Krylon Dull Aluminum for detailing aluminium parts like alternator, transmission case, etc.

When ever I go into a store, I always check out the paint isle. When I do my restos, I'll use different manufactures blacks, silvers, cast, etc. No 2 shades or finish are ever the same. I think that it makes things look more "unique", like different black parts came from different vendors and so on. Dupli-Color makes 2 or 3 different black engine paints that I'll use on any part. Trouble is, paint prices up her are getting crazy. The last can of VHT Hemi Orange I bought cost me almost $29.00 out the door!

Last edited:
I use this stuff. No primer needed and it's a epoxy. I painted my push mower engine with it and is still holding on great. 3 years so far so good and it is the right color. Not cheap, but what is these days? Oh by the way, battery tray is always body color. 10-4? Use a 2K (two part epoxy primer) on the tray first. You can get this stuff in a can now. Hit the button on the bottom and mix well. Lasts I think up to 4 days or so with the hardener added. You can get that primer in flat black also. When sprayed it looks like BBQ paint but way better. I use to do my bolts to give it a black oxide look before I bought the proper stuff from Caswell.

VHT Roll Bar & Chassis Paint -- High Heat Coatings

Last edited:
00427378.jpg

Another vote for VHT roll bar black, satin.

i have used 1K Hugh build primers under VHT with hood success too. I just ensure my first VHT coat is nice and LIGHT and plenty of flash time to allow it to so set up and act as a barrier/sealer for subsequent coats. N then I do three coats as per VHT instructions and usually get fantastic results.

Last edited:
This what I use, very durable. Satin black, almost a semi gloss.

IMG_1518.jpeg

If that John Deere paint is like their either it’s dam good stuff! The have the best starting fluid on Gods green earth!

The worst problem with the spray cans is the nozzles clogging up. I have a few half cans of the Rust oleum that wont spray. I had good luck with the U POL. Clean the nozzle after every use with laquer thinner. Satin black is what I used on my brackets. I think the battery tray is supposed to be body color.

I clean my nozzles between coats with acetone. Every coat. Shake the crap out of the can. Put the can on my lathe at lowest speed for about 10-15 minutes before use. A bit extreme but it works for me. I have even put the cans in hot water to help with mixing. In my mind it might even help with the can pressure.

Up to at least 1970 the battery tray was body colour! You mileage may vary going beyond into '71. Most got painted black after the first battery leak.

Many brackets are gloss, radiators are satin/ semi gloss, etc.
20231201_121347.jpg
20231201_121354.jpg

Billy used that on his Fury stuff that couldn't be coated. My Black Jack (on the battery box above) is an EXACT match for it.

I considered LimeLight for the box but there's a lot of it under the hood already, and the satin black powder matches a bunch of stuff I did in the distant past. Still need to get it out to coat all my fender bolts though lol ...
IMG_20231117_144613.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back