• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cost of bodywork and paint

Driven

Local time
3:24 PM
Reaction score
I have serached and found alot post on this subject but most are for more or less work than what I am looking for. I have a 66 Belv that I want to have the bodywork and paint done. My plan is to delivery the car to the bodyshop as a shell on a dolly. The car has only one rot problem behind the battery the size of a baseball and I have a patch from another car for it. Other than that there is no other rot or rust other than some minor surface rust that could be taken care of with blasting. Has the usual dents and dings. A little plastic from a small dent on one the fenders and a small dent in the door and a little wrinkle on the rear fender near the tailight. Mostly original paint on the car. It is a small block car that I plan to put a big block in. I am capable of doing all work on the car except body and paint. I dont want a show car but a very nice driver. I have got only 2 prices so far to have the body and paint done. One was $20,000 from a high level restoration shop. They would blast everywhere except the body panels which would be sanded to bare metal. They would fill the holes where the side mouldings are. I am considerong redoing the car with out side mouldings. No question they would do a great job. They understand I am looking to build a driver but they do quality work no matter what you are using the car for. Also not looking to paint the underside of the car just primer as it was from the factory. They where very detailed about the products used how many coats of primer, paint and so on. The 2nd was $15,000 from a local body shop that does regular insurance work but also does a few mild restorations or custom work for a few customers every year. I have seen there work and it looks nice. For the 15k I would have to delv the car blasted my cost about $1500. They would not fill the holes for the moulding for the 15k the guy would do it but thought it was better not to so his price didnt include it. I am sure there work would be good quality and if the price diff was huge I would probably go for the local body shop. But for 15k plus 1500 compaired to 20k for the other shop and say they do not fill the holes either I am probably pretty close to the same price. Bottom line of this long email. What do you think of the prices? I used to hang out with some body shop guys years ago so I thought I had a good guess on cost but maybe not. I was thinking 10k for paint and body with me delivering the car already blasted.

My 2-cents... for a "driver" that is a boatload of money. What you're describing is quite extensive for a car that isn't intended to be a "show-car".If you're being cost-conscious, you may consider to seek out a bodyman with reputable referral, who could do it on his own. Without the "retail overhead" you would pay at a resto/body shop. Bring him the car blasted. I did this type of work years ago.

Those prices are way too high for what you are looking for. Keep looking for the right guy at the right price.

A comparision for you !

Very timely post. I just picked up my car last Tuesday from the shop.. I had a little extra paint work done on it. It was painted a couple of years ago, but with this economy being as it is, my wages have sunk and the car is not finished yet. I will send you a few pics from beginning to end and you can see what I have done. I had the moulding removed like you want to do, keyhole covered, and many other things done to it that you may not even notice. The car was blasted also and both quarters replaced with custom bent ones that pop out 1/4 inch farther than stock ! I paid 8k for the work. I think 15k-20k is a little high in my opinion !

64 Small pix.jpg

DSCN3189.jpg

Car 038.jpg

2006_080662_fury0004.JPG

2006_1216misc0049.JPG

Speaking from both sides of the fence here...Shops will typically go high on old cars as they know that looks can be decieving...Ie: the car looks pretty good with a couple rust blisters only to discover that it's rotten once they strip the car down. I could give you more than a dozen examples where the estimate was 10K for the job only to discover the shop needs another 5K to do the job right. It's tough for the shop and the customer on the unknowns that can crop up. Other things that the average person isn't aware of but the shop is will be the overall initial straightness of the vehicle, what may appear as a few dents and dings to the average layperson found on the 1/4 panel (especially on a 66 Belvy) will interpret into many many hours of blocking to get the panel straight enough for paint. This is also true in regards to the welding of the trim holes...It's alot of work to make them disappear. On a new car with no dents and no rust a high quality job can run 3-5K, a splash job can run 2K. Materials and time. Also if you are taking the car to a shop that does insurance work as its main source of work, your car will be likely used as filler between other jobs and seen as less profitable hour for hour thus the trumped up cost for the job.

These are just some examples of why the cost's can be high. You have probably heard the old saying 'you can pay me now or you can pay me later'... The hard part here is finding someone who cares about your project, is knowledgeable and trustworthy in regards to charging for sevices rendered.

Ask around, car clubs are a good place to find people that will tackle your job for a reasonable price. I have a buddy that does this for a living out of his back yard (has a huge shop/facility) and offers very high quality at a reasonable cost...these guys exsist, you have to find them. If you are spending big dollars ask for references.

I hope this gives you a little insight, I have been in this business for over 30 years now...Good luck!

I just had my Chevelle painted here in Southern California, which is propably the most expensive place to restore a car. Labor prices are pretty high here. Anyways I delivered my car stripped already and it needed 4 patches. They didn't paint the bottom since the car was still together. They did paint the jambs. The cost was $3500 and that was $500 extra for the stripes and $300 extra for the colorsand and buff. It turned out awesome! Its not as nice as a show car but it looks fantastic with just a few spots or blems. I think 20k is outrageous and 15k is close to outrageous. I paid 12k for a perfect paint job inside and out with new quarters installed on my Roadrunner. Bottom included.

Thanks

Thanks to all that replied. I guess I wasnt that far off from my quesstimate. I was reading my post and was thinking I was almost describing a show car to some degree. But really just want a really nice paint job so I can rebuild the rest myself. Not looking to sell it when finished or anything. As far as the estimates go both place looked the car over pretty well. I took alot of stuff out of it to make sure I was getting an accurate estimates. The resto shop looked the car over for several hours and couldnt find anything other than what I described. Even the local body shop was praising the condtion of the body and frame. Here in New England we obviously dont see many that dont need at least floor and qtr work. We almost consider floor and qtrs work rust free. I have only recently decided to finaly get working on it so I am in no rush. I got nothing to loose looking for the right guy to piant it. Doesnt really need much to get on the road some exhaust and brake work and some minor electrical. Might as well drive it the way it is for now. By the way Moose your car looks great so far. Thanks again for the replies.

You're being ripped off. So called "restoration" shops are nothing but ripoff artists. They will try to charge you as much as the car is worth restored. Around $4k is average for a car in the condition you describe. Could be done cheaper if you are doing the prep work. Certainly not a dime over 5 grand.

Let's see, so far my car has had everything but the roof, inside and trunk stripped and primed. The trunk floor extensions and outer wheelhouses have been removed and replaced. The area behind the door hinge that is usually always cracked has been repaired. Some minor holes in the rear crossmember have been fixed and a section of the passenger floor board has been cut out and new piece fitted (not welded yet), oh and the both rear quarters have been cut out. I'm in it for about $2K so far. It's a '69 RR I figured that would give you a guage on how it starts adding up. I brought the car to them as a shell minus the rear window, they had to take that out.

At the end of the day it's all about how much time is spent on the car and what level of quality you are happy with. I don't know what your door rates are across the States, I know they vary quite abit from province to province here in Canada. Low would be 50/hr. and high would be 70./hr for body and 80. to 110. for paint. Hours add up. If your car is super straight with only a couple of dings its an easy job and can be completed in 15-20 hours charging the paint rate+ the bodywork and r&i's. If the car is in good shape with a few dents and requires sanding and blocking and a reprime at least once, now your into the 30/40 hour zone for paint and body. Add in partial/full panel replacement if needed, a few patches, refitting panels+alignment and the costs go up.

I just completed my buddy's Camaro, painted BC/CC with stripes, no major bodywork as the car was pretty straight when I got it, realigned panels, blocked and primed twice (super straight) with jambs sprayed I spent approx 70 hours. Keep in mind, no major body work or r&i's other than doors, hood and fenders to spray jambs. This would be classified as a high end driver/street car with the odd trip to a car show...Show quality...I have spent over a 1000 hours on a car...as I said before you truly get what you pay for...

Reatoration shops have such a high rate and your average local body shop dosent make a lot of money on the classics because there time consuming, and probley wouldn't put in the heart and care you want on your classic. I believe supporting the "little guy" that loves to restore cars on his own time and dose a great job. Yeah it will take longer but you will save money and have your car in good hands. I guess I am kind of biased because I am one of those "little guys" just trying to start out. Clearclassicrestoration.net

Some of you other guys may not agree but sounds to me the work you r having done can get into around the 6 to 8 thousand range now i can give you a number to a great restoration shop charges by the hr does some of the best custom work and straight up resto work you will ever see has many cars in mags at mopar ford and yes chevy nats in carlisle pa also his cars and work r know throughout the industry but ill say this he can do the best paint jobs i have ever seen from single color to strips he made a set of working metal t-tops in a 65 mustang fastback also builds race cars and many more things does any type of car but mostly prefers mopars travels the country i personally know of 4 trips to Calif this year new York mi and more to pick up and drop off u want it right trust me he is a perfectionist the name is RST PERFORMANCE AND RESTORATION located in hunker pa have number also pm u wouldn't b sorry to do this route you want ok or nice at show prices trust me id put up pics just don't have them till i can get home again the owner runs the shop all hands on has things in there now like a 66 hemi charger a 70 super bird 2 70 6 pack runners a few mustang and. a 67 coronet convertible and a few more Thx pm ill give his number you won't b sorry

Speaking from both sides of the fence here...Shops will typically go high on old cars as they know that looks can be decieving...Ie: the car looks pretty good with a couple rust blisters only to discover that it's rotten once they strip the car down. I could give you more than a dozen examples where the estimate was 10K for the job only to discover the shop needs another 5K to do the job right. It's tough for the shop and the customer on the unknowns that can crop up.

The minute somebody gives me a quote for bodywork that includes charges for things that might not need to be done, I would walk. Does that meen that they will refund your extra 5K for things they might need to do if they don't need done?. That is no way to handle things, I like to sleep at night. There is nothing wrong with quoting a price for what the client wants and then explaining to them that there could be extras which are unforseen. If extras are found the client gets a phone call to discuss the details before proceeding with the work.

So, do most shops not do a pay as you go type thing and fully discuss with you the work that has been accomplished up and too the point you have paid. Then when your shop account has reached zero ask for what ever you can come up with and depending on the amount of cash you give them fully explain to you again what will be done with that money?

That's what the shop does for me so I was just wondering. We have been friends for a few years so maybe he is making an exception.

The minute somebody gives me a quote for bodywork that includes charges for things that might not need to be done, I would walk. Does that meen that they will refund your extra 5K for things they might need to do if they don't need done?. That is no way to handle things, I like to sleep at night. There is nothing wrong with quoting a price for what the client wants and then explaining to them that there could be extras which are unforseen. If extras are found the client gets a phone call to discuss the details before proceeding with the work.

True detmatt, the problem arises when a shop quotes 5 thousand to do a job, gets into it and realizes the car is a basket case that needs a ton more money for parts and labour. This can put the owner of the car into a tailspin, car is ripped apart, repairs have begun and know no money to complete. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. If the customer has deep pockets it's not a problem, but the average guy can wind up in trouble. The problem for us in the autobody industry is coming up with a written in stone price. Near impossible to do. Whether its a crashed 2010 Ram PU or one of our old B-Bodies the true cost will only show up when we dive into the job.
A customer arrives at a shop, gets a quote (estimate) and makes a decision as to whether it's fair. The shop should have written the estimate in good faith and also should have explained the unknowns and told the customer to have a contingency fund for any surprises that may arise. Insurance companies have to deal with unknown expenses all the time as hidden damage always exists. Some shops can't be bothered with your job and will simply quote high...not where you want to go.
If I had to take my car in for a repair that cost that much I don't know if I could sleep at night unless I personally knew the bodyman/painter...but thats just me.

I am not a shop owner, and not a full time bodyman anymore either. I teach body and paint so I have a little different spin on the subject having seen many of the scenario's spoken of here in this thread. Having said that I have 20 full years in as a bodyman that has included 5 years custom/restoration work.

Be very careful who you choose for your restoration, references are the best source of info. The best resto's can come from the smaller shops if they have an interest in your car and positive experiences from their customers.

I just got an estimate from a local guy who does great driver quality work on musclecars.

My car has an interesting crease on the quarter (right in the lower body line curve), some minor dents on the deck, one on the rocker, and one rust hole about 1-2" on one quarter.

This guy said $1200 for all that plus $650 for under the hood, and his flat price for paint is $5000 (including removing front and rear windscreens).

This is for me stripping all I can off of it.

Both my fenders have dents and minor rust at the bottom. he said if I could find better ones, to do so, because he'd have to charge $800 each because of the nature of the dents (hard creases, some near internal bracing), and the "thick, high quality" older sheet metal. Too bad as there is no antenna hole, and I wanted to keep that original. Not for $800 though. I have a line on a nice set for under $200.

This guy does great work, some have even been in magazines.

a guy in northeast TN is fairly reasonable,he is doing the 5th car for me now, i love his work, amazing with metal and paint,, and right around my price range,, if interested let me know and i ll email his number and name,,15 to 20 k is too much

I'm not a body guy, and I have found it very difficult to find someone who will tackle an old car. Most shops want the quick in & out jobs. I did finally found a guy through the grapevine, but for all the body work and two stage paint job I'm going to be out in the neighborhood of 12K. That's not including the Media blasting I getting done, and purchase of body panels he had already suggest I get.

You need to try and find one of those mom and pop type shops, who only do a handful of cars each year. The full blown resto shops have so much overhead they have to charge high prices, while the collision shops are just trying to make a few extra bucks in between their normal business. If you go to one of those, don't be surprised if the car sits untouched for long periods of time. something in the $8-$12K range should be reasonable based on what you are describing. That should cover blasting, body, and paint, to a level you are looking for.

The biggest problem is you are looking for "Driver Quality", but no resto shop is going to put out that type of job, because their reputation is based on the quality of their work, and they won't let a "Driver" job out their door.

Auto Transport Service
Back