• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

coupe and hardtop differences

1966 Coronet two door hardtop. Image stolen from the 'net!

Benji

Attachments

• 66-Coro.jpg
    66-Coro.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 197
correct!

Here is a picture of my 1966 Coronet 2 door SEDAN. Notice how boxey the roof line is. Someon can certainly post a picture of a 1966 2 door hardop and you will see a big differece in the roof lines.

Right on, this is making sense to me now. So this is Mopar only....if a guy wanted a really interesting discussion you could drag GM and Ford into the mix and end up with a real hair ball...have to put the coffee on for an all nighter...:lotsocoffee:

I like the '66 6pack and like the color even more..what color is that?

1966 Coronet two door hardtop. Image stolen from the 'net!

Benji

What a difference....used to seeing the hardtop for sure...what Benji has attached here is burned in my brain and not used to seeing the Sedan and noting the differences...

I'm thinking the Sedan would have had a lesser number of cars produced...just by what you see..

The color of my car is medium turquoise metallic and is the factory correct color for the car.

Yes, the 2 door sedans were only made in the Base Coronet and Deluxe models. They were generally ordered for either basic transportation or for race car applications. Here is an example of the production numbers for comparision:

3464 Base Coronet 2 door sedan model
12751 Deluxe 2 door sedan model
42822 Coronet 440 2 door hartop model
42512 Coronet 500 2 door hardtop model

The 2 door sedan models with the post between the windows and windo frame is a much stronger body AND cheaper so the racers who were not so concerned with looks rather than the strength and cost bought these cars.

My Coronet is an example of this. It is one of 34 1966 Base Coronet 2 door sedans with a 426 Hemi. They built 23 with auto trans and 11 with a 4 speed which makes my car on of 11 built.

People today still look for these old sedans with /6s ans small V8s to clone into larger engine race cars.

Well, not only a nice lookin' car but rare too boot...AND a 426....what can I say..hmmm...can I have it...LOL

Well thanks for all the info on this...got side tracked with the Sedan issues but learned something for sure.

Well, not only a nice lookin' car but rare too boot...AND a 426....what can I say..hmmm...can I have it...LOL

Well thanks for all the info on this...got side tracked with the Sedan issues but learned something for sure.

If you read my signature you will see that it is for sale.

And wasn't there some E body coupes built too? Challenger Deputy or something like that that had fixed rear windows.....? Or were those still regarded as hardtops?

ok,,,im almost sorry i asked that question...i am more confuzzled more than i was a week ago....LMAO..im gonna start drinking too EVGTX

I believe those were a coupe....actually there is a thread on the E body site..

http://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1178

NOPE....Not a coupe but a 2 door hardtop with a coupe PACKAGE.

A quote from the link above:
"The A93 Deputy package was simply a coupe. The rear windows are fixed. It was a stripped down model, made to be more affordable.

Mopar should have just made these cars JH21's as opposed to making them an A-code thing."

This poster ALMOST had it right, but there is a reason that Chrysler coded things the way they did. Rather than creating a completely different unibody with a B pillar they just made it APPEAR as a coupe

The reason Chrysler DIDN'T change the V.I.N. to a 21 body type (the traditional coupe or sedan coding) was because it has no B pillar (or post) it is the same 2 door hardtop body it just has fixed no roll down windows. The A93 package was actually called the coupe package and was to mimic the cheaper model of other cars typical of coupes. Fixing the quarter windows with bright chrome trim on the forward edge of the glass was just part of the package which included rubber floor covering, 3 spoke steering wheel with horn button, E78 tires and single horn were standard, bright grille, Astrotone on lower deck finish panel with bright moulding, and the day/night rear view mirror and cigar lighter were optional.

Any Chrysler product with an A package is considered a package car. As an example a 1969 440 six pack Bee or 6 BBL RR is an A12 package car. the Package's equipment overrides the standard 383 SB & RRs equipment as per the items in the A12 package. This makes it confusing for some people until the realize this when reading the fender tag because it has 383 codes on it for the engine. They also I.D.ed the V.I.N. with an M in the engine digit which simply stands for "special order V8." That is the same engine code they used for the 1968 SS Hemi Darts and Cudas.

All of this makes sence if you know how Chrysler thought and kept track of things.

The 68-70 Roadrunner, GTX, Belvedere, Satellite & others, were referred to as a "Post Coupe" with a B-pillar & push out rear quarter windows. The Lighter Turquoise 69-1/2 A12 RR is a "Post Coupe"

So my question is specific to 68-70 B-Bodies (especially my favorite: the 69 Coronet): does the 2 door "Post Coupe" have a frame around the door window? I have tried to find a photo of a Post Coupe with the door open and the window down - but it's harder than it sounds!

In Australia we always refer a coupe to a car with 2 doors ,regardless of pillar or no pillar.
So from this you have a 2 door Hardtop or 2 door sedan (both coupes)
Then you have a 4 door sedan or 4 door hardtop.( not coupes)
A convertible is out there by itself.

wow a post risen from the dead

no frame around the front windows on any of the B-Bodies on a 2 door Pillar/Post Coupe,
that's only on Sedans, 4drs & Wagons, not on any Coupe or Hardtops

a Post coupe has just the pop-out quarter windows & a solid B-Pillar post

all the below are Post Coupes, & a full line 1969 Coronet line up brochure,
a couple photos are members cars here even

Attachments

• 69 Super Bee JakeWit @ FBBO #1.jpg
    69 Super Bee JakeWit @ FBBO #1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 69.5 Super Bee A-12 440 Six Pack R4 Red #2.jpg
    69.5 Super Bee A-12 440 Six Pack R4 Red #2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 135
I have a question on 66 coronet if I have a 66 coronet 2 doors coupe is all the frame, floors and firewall the same to all 66-70 B bodys hard top??

I have a question on 66 coronet if I have a 66 coronet 2 doors coupe is all the frame, floors and firewall the same to all 66-70 B bodys hard top??
These cars with the full door frame (2 or 4 door) are sedans....and there are some minor difference in the flooring from what I understand....and the difference is in the rear seat area but it's minor. Firewalls are the same from what I can see.

These cars with the full door frame (2 or 4 door) are sedans....and there are some minor difference in the flooring from what I understand....and the difference is in the rear seat area but it's minor. Firewalls are the same from what I can see.
And what about front and rear frames ?
Are those the same?

Auto Transport Service
Back