• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cragar SS rims?

Terry Kitzman

Local time
2:42 PM
Reaction score
-I ordered Cragar SS wheels for my 66 Charger, I recieved what I believe are uni lug wheels with oval bolt holes. Should I have purchased direct drill rims or do I need a special washer for the uni lug rims?

The direct bolt ons are tough to get, Took forever to get ours.,The uni lug do take the oval washers.

I’ve ran my 40yo uni lug keystones for a couple years now, don’t be scared of uni lug, unless you’re doing serious hard core racing, you’ll be fine

Just check the torque on your lugs at least once a summer. I did have a left rear come loose once. Been on the car since the 80's with uni-lug with no other issues since.

Unilug wheels were a big thing back in the mid to late 70's when I was at the speed shop. I didn't hear of any issues with hundreds of wheels sold. Like 6PK just said. check the lug nut torque. Something that should be done with any wheel and especially a custom wheel.

...I didn't hear of any issues with hundreds of wheels sold......

Well, there were these PITA-es for the SS hub backside way back. Don't know about others but they were bad for me.....
1687996415750.png

I believe the separate bolt pattern wheels were discontinued long ago. I have a pair from the early 70's, but another pair afterward were only available unilug. Not a problem.

I've been running uni-lug Cragars for many years with zero problems. I currently have them on a 900hp Coronet, no problems. I will say the "new" style uni washers are a bit of a pita but if you are not taking you wheels off and on much then its really no big deal.

Are they "uni" or "dual pattern"?

Dual pattern is way easier to use and can be run without washers as the lug seats positively against either the inner or outer radius of the short slot.
The washer is basically cosmetic, to cover the gap.

5 on 4 1/2 plus 5 on 4 3/4 is a pretty common dual pattern.

Auto Transport Service
Back