• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cragar SS Uni-Lug vs Direct Drill

Unilug cragars were done that way to use them either on Chevy or Ford (mopar) pattern. They required mag shank lugs.
The ORIGINAL, old, direct drilled cragers ALSO used shank lugs, so they didn't need longer studs either.
The NEW direct drilled cragars with conical seats REQUIRE cragar conical lugs WITH A SHANK. They are not safe with short studs without them! They really aren't safe with long studs if the right conical-shank studs aren't used, because the lug holes in the rims are too big (so that there is room for the shank).
The reason this was discussed for quite some time on a-bodies, was because the proper lugs were NOT available, out of stock.
Edit: tree'd by Charles Cook, lol.

Last edited:
If I get a moment today I’ll remove one of the lugs and post a picture.
This is all very interesting to me. I was told to use the standard conical lugs and replace the studs. I like what you are talking about a lot better though. Do you remember the part # for the conical shanked nut that you used and where you bought them?

No part #s. Don’t know why.
B5169F94-EA02-4776-BEB7-A54B8AA907BE.jpeg

This is all very interesting to me. I was told to use the standard conical lugs and replace the studs. I like what you are talking about a lot better though. Do you remember the part # for the conical shanked nut that you used and where you bought them?
I have a pretty good idea where to find that at a-bodies. I'll get back.....

The number I found at a-bodies is Cragar A-27802-4. BUT! Those are 7/16 for a-body lugs. You can look to see what they look like, and get them for 1/2 studs..... if they have them......
Search CRAGAR brand lug nuts, at summit.. specify 1/2x20.

Last edited:
The number I found at a-bodies is Cragar A-27802-4. BUT! Those are 7/16 for a-body lugs. You can look to see what they look like, and get them for 1/2 studs..... if they have them......
Search CRAGAR brand lug nuts, at summit.. specify 1/2x20.
Found them. Cragar A-27804-4 at Summit. $80 for 20 of them. I see there are 2 generic brands on Amazon. ! set is $22 and the other $29. Think a guy takes a chance since they are almost 1/4 the cost of Cragars? All of them are probably made in China.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DR5T2R5/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A12BDL2AJ0LRAA&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A9LGP4Y/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A23ID4AZTDBV78&psc=1

I had Uni Lugs on 70 383 Barracuda. It meant that I had to have spare studs and nuts with the car. It would often break studs on the rear, it was not that fast. Have limped back on 3 studs before. Got rid of those rims as soon as I could. edit: It also would break them on the front also.

Found them. Cragar A-27804-4 at Summit. $80 for 20 of them. I see there are 2 generic brands on Amazon. ! set is $22 and the other $29. Think a guy takes a chance since they are almost 1/4 the cost of Cragars? All of them are probably made in China.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DR5T2R5/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A12BDL2AJ0LRAA&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A9LGP4Y/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A23ID4AZTDBV78&psc=1
Except for the fact that I don't buy ANYTHING on amazon, I'd give the generics a try, if the shank diameter is right. I would not expect the chrome to be the same quality as the cragars, or that it would last as long.

Well folks, I pulled the trigger on the direct drill Cragar SS wheels!
15x8 Rear with 275/60, and 15x6 Front with 215/70.
Here I am with my buddy Blue!
Blue IN Road Runner.JPG
Blue W Road Runner 1.JPG

I have the direct drill, never have put them on yet, but I bought the Cragar lug nuts for them. As for unilug, They come with a universal center large enough for a Mopar, the problem is when you put them on a ford the center is not holding the wheel the lugs are. and there is plenty of room for them to slide some in the pattern when you use them with a center bore washer. The reason I have not put them on is tire clearance in the 67 B body wheelwell I have not checked the well for clearance with a 255 60 15 Rear and a 235 70 15 front. and the 7 " front 8 " rear direct drills. Does anyone have the setup on their 67 B car?

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back