• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Craigslist bum

A few years back I listed an item on craigslist for free. It was an engine hoist without a hydraulic cylinder. I figured car stuff, what could go wrong? Stated emphatically in the ad whoever got there 1st had it; I would not hold it for anyone based on a phone call.

Guy calls an hour or so after the ad went up saying he'd be there to pick it up the next day. I reminded him of the verbiage in the ad stating I would not hold. "OK, no problem." Someone else came to get it the same day I posted.

Next day the 1st guy calls to tell me he's on his way. I tell him it's gone and he has an absolute fit. I tried to reason with him to no avail. He finally hung up on me after calling me names. A year later on the same day, he calls to tell me I'm still a #%&$*@ jerk, and hangs up. A year later again he does the same thing! By then I figured out how to block phone numbers and that stopped the calls.

Yeah, his son my ***. He tried to pull the 'ol bait & switch and you called him on it. Good for you. The guys on here saying 'you should've gave him the $50 anyway', bullcrap. The reason there is so many liars and scammers especially on craigs is because people are pushovers and let them get away with it. The fact you then got the runaround, and then to have him go from 'if nobody wants them they're trash' to 'oh nevermind I think I'm gonna use them'...?
Screw 'em. I wouldn't give him 50 cents..
Exactly....shame on the others here judging the OP......

The OP has a right to vent and I see why he is upset at the situation.....it was a “baiting” ad.......

Who's not been to the scrap yard in a while?

All 4 would bring about $2.75 at the current rate of $4 per 100 pounds.

6709600C-A4E8-46E4-AAF8-C89692FBF952.jpeg

I don't think I am being unreasonable. It is not like I am going after him. I have better things to do. If he doesn't respond...oh, well.
But think about this...
...for his son to make changes to his ad, he would have to be logged in to either his fathers computer or CL account. The word FREE would have been typed intentionally, not like someone fat fingering the numerals. I am not going to make a case out of this, kay sera sera (sp). Nothing gained, nothing lost. It was just that he honored the ad but then switched. Also in his ad, he said that if nobody wanted them he was going to junk them. So he clearly wanted them gone.
I was just sharing and kicking myself in the rear at the same time. I know that I should have been happy at $50, but they were listed for free. That is my only gripe.

I am actually making sport of myself with this post :) (because really...who is the dumbass ? Good guess, it is me...lol)

Did you see my post about the guy selling a 4 post lift advertised as a Forward brand with alignment turntables and two jacks?

After 5 back and forth replies to confirm things, I borrow a trailer big enough, build cribbing from 4x4's so I don't mess up my buddies trailer, and drive almost an hour over to find-

it is NOT a Forward brand.

it does NOT have turntables.

it does NOT have even one jack.

turns out the guy cut and pasted a complete ad from another CL lister including the pics.

What a douche.

Exactly....shame on the others here judging the OP......

The OP has a right to vent and I see why he is upset at the situation.....it was a “baiting” ad.......
if the op had included all the details in the original post,
none of us would have replied the way we did initially..just saying.
fair is fair.

if the op had included all the details in the original post,
none of us would have replied the way we did initially..just saying.
fair is fair.
Well for starters I wasn’t referring to you but you chimed in.....IIRC you recanted earlier, right.....so that’s a wash IMHO....

I was referring to the ones that didn’t changed their view.....

How’s that beater?

I was attempting to keep original post short. I realize now that it was a vital tidbit that I should have included. Sorry for the confusion

Update: Haha....the bum texted me yesterday saying that he really didn't have a use for them. He said $50 would really help. Help what ?
I am starting to think he is not playing with a full deck. Good Grief

Update: Haha....the bum texted me yesterday saying that he really didn't have a use for them. He said $50 would really help. Help what ?
I am starting to think he is not playing with a full deck. Good Grief
Imagine that.....

Auto Transport Service
Back