• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

crank

bmass

Local time
9:59 AM
Reaction score
Hello to all, I am a newbie so please be easy on me. I am replacing a
318 with a 440 into my 67 belvedere, it was an automatic car (the 440) and I want a 5 speed to be installed in my belvedere. Can i have my crank machined for a pilot bushing? Also what 5 speed set up would you recommend. I will get some pictures up soon. I am building a new garage for
the 67 and have it in storage now. Thanks, Bruce

I understand the '90s Magnum V-8 pilot bearing presses into the torque converter hub pilot area of the crank, and provides a better solution - ask for 53009180AB but if the crank isn't drilled deep enough for the input shaft, it will need to be drilled deeper. Many over the years have just cut the nose off of the input shaft but I see that as not an option. If it has to be drilled deeper, you can machine the pilot bearing fit while it's in the lathe.

Cranky, thanks for info I heard that also since posting but no one seems to know the depth. Any suggestions?

Somewhere in my madness of books, catalogs and manuals, the exact dimensions are listed but it would probably be easier to just measure a transmission and bell housing and would probably be faster than looking for the info lol. I have a crank out in the shop that's drilled so I can check it. I remember the bell housing is 7.380 or .005" more than 7 3/8". The only standard trans I have right now to measure is a Jerico and I haven't verified it to fit yet....

Edit: Went and measured the crank....2" from the flywheel mounting face to the bottom of the drilled point...add 1/4" if you measure from the boss fit. That boss extends 1/4" from the flywheel mounting face.

Yes, you can drill the 440 crank for a pilot bushing. It should be done on a lathe and make sure you don't drill too deep and go through the cross drilled oil passage.

As far as five speed setups, I've been running a Keisler conversion kit with a Tremec TKO 500 for nine years now with no problems. Easy to install.

Thanks for all the input, I called Mancini racing (tech line) and was informed to have correct bushing installed for manual tranny and it will be deep enough with that installed correctly. I also was leaning towards Keisler, just wanted some feedback.

Thanks, Bruce

Auto Transport Service
Back