• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crazy Question about Chrysler Chrome Ignition setup

Mike Gaines

Local time
11:50 PM
Reaction score
If your mopar has the complete Chrysler Chrome Box Ignition/Distributor/ballast resister/etc can you merely remove the Chrysler Distributor and replace it with an MSD Billet Distributor that is made to be used with the MSD 6AL Box.
If so, the MSD Distributor has the wire assembly coming out of the Distributor with the plug that plugs into the MSD 6AL setup....does that plug go into the Chrysler setup somehow
The reason I am asking is I have a motor with the complete Chrysler Chrome Box setup/Distributor/etc and I just want to replace the Chrysler Distributor that has the brown cap/iron housing with the sharp looking MSD Billet Distributor with the red cap/MSD wires/etc.
and to top it off 440 Source has a Billet Distributor they say is identical to the MSD Distributor but it is $79.95 NOT $324.00...and if so, I would use that distributor.
Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks

I have no idea if this would work...help.
It is NOT for a performance issue, just a cosmetic redo.

On the wiring, there is a very nice, detailed, wire schematic on the MSD website that shows how to hook their distributor to a Mopar ECU. It is a link off the page selling the distributor.

Here's what I got from MSD website

Screenshot_20190706-214032.png

If its the MSD dist with the magnetic pickup then yes it will work on the Mopar ign. Even without a plug to plug it right in it will work if you cut and splice the right wires from the pick-up coil to the ECU box. Ron

identical to the MSD Distributor but it is $79.95 NOT $324.00...and if so, I would use that distributor.

from what i have seen on the WWW is that the adjustability of it is NOT like msd...more like the older mallory units that u have to bend tabs around to try and get it where u want it timing wise....not even close to msd...the original unit u have can easily be adjusted by the FBO drop in plate and springs....not as pretty as msd.but not 324.00.u get what u pay 4.

Auto Transport Service
Back