• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cruising Is Not a Crime

Dibbons

Local time
6:40 PM
Reaction score
I cruised Salinas, California as a young adult (met some girls at the same time) circa 1975-1977. Switched between '69 Chevy Step-side pickup, '63 Pontiac Grand Prix, and my '65 Plymouth Valiant (bracket racer @ Fremont Raceway). Sometime later, of course, signs were posted on Main Street making cruising "illegal". Cars were usually bumper to bumper on the weekends, and I don't remember any gang activity or crime back then at all.

Pontiac Grand Prix copy.jpg

1965ValiantEffortcopy.jpg

I cruised Escondido Ca in the mid to late 70's. Always had a good time there. Yes there was some stoplight Grand Prix happening but the main part of that was done elsewhere. Esco was a very popular cruise back then, enough so that Car Craft had articles on the various hotspots in Cal for cruising. The night they were there for an article, the place was packed. So many bitchin rides there and ones we had only previously heard about but never saw until then. After I left the area they clamped down hard in the early 80's. Was fun while it lasted.

Same thing in Modesto.. Friends cruised through the 50's & 60's, I started cruising in 74, by then it had moved from downtown to McHenry Avenue... In 79 "No Cruising" signs were posted & a local tradition slowly died...

Yeah, Car Craft showed up & did an article about Modesto too... Since George Lucas grew up here, cruised here, & made "American Graffiti about living & cruising here the town was pretty well known as a cruising hot spot...

Funny how the same folks who cruised as kids decided to ban it when they got older... Lot more crime since they chased all the people away from a place where we could all socialize

Imagine the day back when the only video games around were the 25-cent kind at the local arcade or the pizza joint. Gas was pretty cheap. Cars could seat eight easily and NOT be an SUV (back when us kids were all pretty much skinny!). Guns in the gun racks in our trucks. Thrush glasspacks being the rule (at least where I lived!). Getting liquor "from a friend". Going out to the boonies ("dobies" where I lived, because of the adobe clay ground) and either go racing, drinking or skinny-dipping. The drive-in movies (my town had TWO!).

On a Friday or Saturday night, people were generally home by 2am. You'd have the occasional fight, or someone would run off the road going too fast on the gravel roads outside of town. The mid-to-late '70s were such a great time to be a teenager, gotta say.

We cruised almost nightly in my Hometown of Alton Il. late 60's into the 70's. There were three locally owned drive ins called "Blocks", that were always packed and also Burger Chef, The Parkette, and the Comet. Also Dog and Suds in Wood River and after hours Carols Ranch House in Godfrey. Then there were the grudge races on Airport Rd in Godfrey and "Seven Hills" in Fosterburg. If we got bored we went to one of the Steak N Shakes in ST Louis. Good times. And then there were the drive-ins movies, the Starlight, in Alton, the Capri in Wood River and the Bel-Aire, I might have taken a cooler and got a little "lov'n" there too!

PS, I could fill up my tank, fill up my cooler and take my girl to the drive in and still have change from a twenty!!!!:thumbsup:

PS, I could fill up my tank, fill up my cooler and take my girl to the drive in and still have change from a twenty!!!!:thumbsup:
A twenty? You were a high roller.... Wienershnitzel Chili dogs were 39 cents... Chili Cheese Dogs were 44 cents...

Same thing in Modesto.. Friends cruised through the 50's & 60's, I started cruising in 74, by then it had moved from downtown to McHenry Avenue... In 79 "No Cruising" signs were posted & a local tradition slowly died...

Yeah, Car Craft showed up & did an article about Modesto too... Since George Lucas grew up here, cruised here, & made "American Graffiti about living & cruising here the town was pretty well known as a cruising hot spot...

Funny how the same folks who cruised as kids decided to ban it when they got older... Lot more crime since they chased all the people away from a place where we could all socialize
They are trying to reverse that ban.

I wish cruising was still big here.

In Weatherford Tx there’s still signs a block off main that say “no right turn” and “no left turn” between I think 7pm-12am. Signs of glory days gone by

I cruised Lansdale and Pottstown in my Charger and ‘Cuda. It was the ultimate payoff to get them running and street legal to make the scene. My Charger was a true basket case. I brought a bunch of it home in milk crates! :D

I cruised Clayton Rd in Concord, CA from 1987-1991 before no-cruising signs started popping up everywhere and the cops actually started handing out tickets if they saw your car pass the same intersection more than twice in 30 min. What a buzzkill! Boooooooooooo

I remember so many fun times with my best friend driving one or both of our cars, listening to music with the music loud, and just enjoying the night air. I can specifically remember how the air smelled and felt outside on a hot summer night or on a cool foggy winter evening (mixed with carbureted fuel smell from the 1965 and 1967 Chevy Impalas (mine a 4-speed). No smoking or drinking either. The music and cars were our high. Aside from the occasional stop light race, I never witnessed any crimes out along the main drag. It was always a good time and things were pretty civil along that 5 mile stretch with legal u-turns available at every 1/8 mile and many after hours restaurants and such still open past 11pm. It was an affordable way for high school age kids to keep the expenses low and meet up with your friends and make some new friends along the way, whether it was someone you just met who noticed you pulled over in front of 7-11 or the burger joint and just wanted to check out your car, someone of the opposite sex you saw drive by, or your buddies that just showed up with their own hot rods, which we had just spent all day cleaning to show it off.

I think it honed my driving skills too. More time behind the wheel is a good thing back then. Within 6 mo of the cruising ban in heavy effect, I saw many TV news reports with local businesses along that stretch reporting their sales had plummeted drastically. Well, duh. What did you think would happen?

Depends what "cruising" is, what area. Some places in the northeast, you know the premier neighborhoods, they post signs for the drug dealers and buyers rampant in the 'hood.

NorCal had a very active cruise scene, from my era 1975-1985-ish
most all towns/especially cities, had some sort of cruise

I did the Walnut Creek Ca. Main st. & Locust st. cruise
for 10 years probably
when ever I was in the area, not out on the road
a bunch of us from Concord
we would also get together & go to many different towns
check out the cars babes & cruises, races

(up to 16-20-ish people, from Concord area cars/racers, even just cruisers
we'd go to the cruise or not, then always later go to Safeway (?) parking lot
private ownership, he was cool, it was called Encino Grande, corners of
Concord Ave. & Willow Pass, right on the borders of WC/Concord, bench race/BS
& have organize street races, up Willow Pass rd., if the cars weren't too loud,
we didn't want to piss of the locals or the faster/louder cars would go out to Ygnatio Valley,
my house was right near it, made it really convenient, 2 ) 1/4 miles marked off

going both directions on a flat section on the 4 lane road, each with about a 1/2 mile shutdown)

Concord, my hometown where I was born/raised
lived for most of my youth, from 1959-1997
so like 31 of the 1st 38 years, I lived in around
Concord/Clayton area, Pleasant Hill, Walnut Creek, Antioch,
there were a few cruises in the areas...

(except HS 3 years, I lived in the Georgetown area/Garden Valley with my father
& his bitch 3rd wife & a few years I lived in Alaska, in the mid 80's
or Springfield area Mo., for a year, rebuilding a racetrack

we'd cruise Sacramento (75 miles away) or Placerville, Auburn closer in HS years)

In Concord, Clayton Rd., Treat Blvd., Concord Ave., Willow Pass
always the CPD 'police city' from 75-85-ish after like 11:00pm-ish
depending which area the LEOs shut down, we'd go to another
if they'd shut it down, so we'd go to nearby towns
10th & L Street in Antioch
Even Pittsburg 10th st. had a cruise
(before it went gangs & lowriders)

We'd also do the J Street in Sacramento, mainly in HS
& quite a few times, in HS years & later in my 20's - 30's
go to surrounding towns cities, even some 50-100 miles away even like
*usually somewhere close 10-40 or fewer miles away
*Martinez
*Fairfield
*San Pablo, El Cerrito, Berkeley-Albany, in Oakland, up & down East 14th,
before it went all minitrucks/lowriders & gangs or go over to Richmond
*Alamo/Danville/San Ramon
a lil' farther out like
Pleasanton
Livermore
Fremont
San Jose/Cupertino El Camino Real
Modesto
Marysville/Oroville
(I had racing buddies in Marysville/Oroville & all the surrounding areas)
Yuba City
Woodland

Many of the cruises, also had people that'd go street racing after it
most were posers/lookie-lous, just out to watch or gamble
it was very common in my youth, into my later 20's especially
which Steet Racing obviously isn't/wasn't legal
but;
for the most part, they (LEOs) left us alone
we'd go out to some unincorporated/rural area to do our business
away from traffic or towns

Later
I'd go check out cruises in other states
when I was on the road for work or racing, well into my later 30's
(38 with 4 kids, that loved it too) until about 1997-ish,
kind of gave it up after then...

Last edited:
We never had any issues cruising in the town where I lived in Wisconsin in the early '80s. We cruised Main St. into the wee hours of the night between Lakeside Park on the north end (where we hung out and socialized) and Gilles Drive-in on the south end. In April of '83 I drove my GTX to northern California and lived with my brother in Santa Clara that whole summer. I cruised El Camino Real and met several good Mopar friends there. At some point they were really cracking down on cruising and made it illegal. The way they did it there was to hammer you with loitering tickets if you stopped to congregate with others. One night a bunch of us were hanging out in a hidden parking lot back off the street when there was some kind of explosion at the Burger King near by. It was a weird coincidence that scattered everyone in short order, knowing the cops would be flooding the area. My buddy who was riding with me that night and I didn't get out of there fast enough and were stopped and questioned by the police as we tried to drive out of the lot. Here I was with WI plates and a WI DL. I figured we were going to jail for sure, but I guess we were believable enough that we had nothing to do with the explosion. We were let go and never did hear what the explosion was all about.

I got my license in 1982 and bought my Dart soon thereafter. At that time, cruising was still legal in Sacramento and the surrounding areas.
Downtown J street was winding down as I came of age. East of there was the growing town of Citrus Heights. Sunrise Blvd had an indoor mall on the east side and an outdoor mall on the west. Both had a fairly large perimeter road to cruise and ogle the chicks. I worked at a Burger King and often times the lot was packed on Friday and Saturday nights with cruisers.
In 1985, I set my own record for the fastest meet a girl and do the deed. I was in the back of a buddy's lowered '85 Nissan truck and a cute blonde pulled in behind us at a stoplight. She was in the passenger seat of a later model Corolla and when she waved me in, I jumped from the truck and got in the car. Within an hour, we were at her apartment.

SKOR.JPG

El Centro was a street racing spot at the North end of town. I never raced there but it was still fun to watch some hot rods race. I met a few girls there too but nothing ever came from that.
I met my first wife in early 1986 while cruising this car:

IMG_20151214_0160.jpg

Remember the "monochromatic" trend of the 80s ?

By the late 80s, they started cracking down. Cops started ticketing people for "Loitering" and I was cited twice.
I cruised Hammer lane in Stockton and McHenry in Modesto, Marysville and anywhere else that had action. It wasn't about racing for me....It was about seeing cool cars and flirting with the chicks. Even after I crossed the age of 21, I still liked cruising because drinking didn't interest me.

My 18 year old boy fell in love with Monte Carlos so I bought a nice original blue one for him except the rims and he loves to cruise in it and it’s got me excited he’s taking a loving to cars and I’m wanting to get my car finished ASAP so we can cruise together some. You can still cruise around here with 0 problems but hardly no one does it.

46405C90-AD8B-4B4B-889C-4A9D391A2187.jpeg

Central was the place to be in Phoenix. Now it is just another street.

Cruising being illegal is just one of literally hundreds of reasons for me NOT to live in California. I'm in my shop now adding some goodies to my Harley.... Rinehart performance exhaust, Arlen Ness stage 1 intake, and Vance and Hines FP4 programmer, all of which are illegal in the state of California, jeez even my leaf blower is not legal to run there, lol, no joke.

It was illegal when I was a kid it was! Not much cruzin goin on where I grew up in the 70's! My cruzin consisted of cruzin with the boys to the park with a 6 pack and a bong!

Auto Transport Service
Back