• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cummins battery time...

Triplegreen500

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:44 AM
Reaction score
I know there's lots of opinions about batteries out there, but...my Cummins needs batteries (2001 24v). It sat in a 50 degree garage for 36 hours, and wouldn't start this morning. I have it on my NoCo tender for the day, I'll test them when I get home tonight. Batteries are dated 2015 so I figure they're due...

Anyone have any brand suggestions? Does it even matter anymore, or do they all come from the same place now? I'm pretty sure the ones in it are Duralast, but I'd have to clean all the crap off them to check (it's a work truck, not a show piece).

Ugh. Really didn't need this right now. Taxes are hurting me, pay sucked last month, and I made the mistake of looking at my electric bill and seeing how much the rates are going to go up each quarter this year. Grrr.

What do those trucks take? 65 series?

Ever since I got away from buying the Optima red and yellow tops due to their crazy prices I have been using batteries from Walmart. Some can say what they want but I have been getting just as long out of them as anything else for way less money.

That's where these came from - I do know that, I just don't remember what sticker is on them. Given the "intermittent" use of the truck, I can't fault them for kicking the bucket after 8 years...but financially the timing SUCKS. As always.

I have used napa legend batteries for several years now.
Both at the shop and our personal stuff. We have had good service from them.

Napa batteries made by Deka East Penn Manufacturing

I've got about 8 yrs. on my costco "kirklands" in my 95 3500 6.5TD and will buy again when needed!not sure about pricing now but they were $100 cheaper than anything else available at the time for a pair!

I got decent service from my optimas in my diesel , but $600 (then, I don't know how much now) , I bought two from Costco for half that or less. If they lasted half as long,I figured I was ahead. (They lasted almost exactly that)
This time, I got two from Sam's club, the nearest Costco is now 125 miles away.
(The second one i bought, about a week later, was $30 more than the first. Should have bought both at once, but was hoping to get more life out of the stronger one. Mistake. Replace in pairs).

Replace in pairs
Oh yeah...parasitic draw will kill the good one right quick, if you pair it with a dead/dying one.

Part of the reason I'm so aggravated right now. Buying "a" battery is a drain on the wallet....buying a PAIR? Really sucks right now. Is what it is, though.

I'll check on Sams and Costco, good tips. thanks.

I put in Napa AGM’s in my ‘11 2 years ago. My truck hasn’t been garage (that will change after the weekend as my shop will be up) for the 3 years I’ve owned. I have zero complaints about them.

I c
I put in Napa AGM’s in my ‘11 2 years ago. My truck hasn’t been garage (that will change after the weekend as my shop will be up) for the 3 years I’ve owned. I have zero complaints about them.
I checked on the agm's at Sam's, before I bought mine. They had no better warrantee, and no more power. Maybe they would last longer, maybe not. $50 more each. I passed.

I was getting something out of the truck about 6 months ago and left the dome lights on for a week and killed the batteries, was thinking here we go batteries will be toasted ,charged them up and all good!starting diesels is hard on batts, 70amp draw on the glowplugs for 20 secs, before even cranking and never had an issue with these ever! thinking there 850cca!

yea, the grid heater doesn't help on my '01 either as far as power consumption goes. I may try to hold out for warmer weather - this truck starts like a gasser in warm weather!

Is one brand of car battery better than another? The long and short answer is no. I have bought duralast for years for all my boats, wave runners, trucks and cars. They come with a 3 year replacement warranty. My coronet has an interstate in it and It's 8 years old.

I know there's lots of opinions about batteries out there, but...my Cummins needs batteries (2001 24v). It sat in a 50 degree garage for 36 hours, and wouldn't start this morning. I have it on my NoCo tender for the day, I'll test them when I get home tonight. Batteries are dated 2015 so I figure they're due...

Anyone have any brand suggestions? Does it even matter anymore, or do they all come from the same place now? I'm pretty sure the ones in it are Duralast, but I'd have to clean all the crap off them to check (it's a work truck, not a show piece).

Ugh. Really didn't need this right now. Taxes are hurting me, pay sucked last month, and I made the mistake of looking at my electric bill and seeing how much the rates are going to go up each quarter this year. Grrr.
Sorry to hear about the batteries but 8 years isn't bad so maybe stick with that brand.. On another Note I was told EVERYTHING is doing incredible and we are on the right path!! :rofl:

If you can find Deka brand, they are US made. Great quality units. Many of the other choices come from thousands of miles west of California. And as I'm sure you are aware, replace both. The old school treated felt rings and spray are always a great idea to add if you don't already use them.

I replaced mine with a pair Odyssey batteries about ten years ago. The original Mopar ones lasted 11 years, but kept shittin' up the terminals, causing all kinds of little electrical issues. The replacements do not **** up the terminals and are still going strong, but are not budget friendly.

I have several batteries that I have bought at Sams. My bucket truck with a 7.3L has 2 of them and I have had zero issues with them

Just did my diesel. Had two ACDelcos from 2018. They crapped out 5years almost to the day. Went to Sams and got two new Duracells.

Auto Transport Service
Back