• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cut oil filter open, what is normal?

Gary Masse

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:22 AM
Reaction score
My 440 in my GTX has about 3500 miles since rebuild in 2010,(1000 miles was put on from 2010 to May 2022) and I put 2500 in the last four months. It was burning one litre the first 600 miles, one litre the next 1000 miles and very little the remaining. I did an oil change May(cut the filter open and found some metal, fine particles( washing the cut open filter in gas and running the fluid thru a coffee filter)), did an oil change at 1600 miles less metal and one at 2600 miles and some fine particles, less than last time. My question is what is the normal amount of fine metal do you fine in the oil filter on a heathy engine? I am running Driven racing oil HR5 and it has a flat comp cam with solid lifters( 600 torque and 500 hp). I know the manufacture has high limits on oil consumption.Thanks.

Fine metal particles on a fresh rebuild is normal, in small amounts. Use a magnet to collect it. If you have a big fuzzy pile, that could indicate abnormal wear.

Since you have decreasing metal particles with each consecutive inspection, I would say that everything is normal with that engine.

Just a small amount of fine powder and a lot less. I know what is allowed on Lycoming and TCM but not cars.

Auto Transport Service
Back