• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cut section of lower quarter panel and reuse it

Sam69sat

Local time
3:56 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone ever cut out a section of the quater panel to do wheelhouse repair and then re welded the cut out piece of quater panel? Any tips on this like cutting wheel thickeness? Also want to do this because i can see chunks of factory undercoating peeling off with rust behind it and it's rusting from the inside out. Trying not to buy new quater metal if i don't have to.

Last edited:
Make sure your repair panel is good and large enough to fill the bad area. Then carefully cut out the rusted area. Now depending on lap or but weld cut your repair panel to fit. Go slow and double check everything before cutting.

Make sure your repair panel is good and large enough to fill the bad area. Then carefully cut out the rusted area. Now depending on lap or but weld cut your repair panel to fit. Go slow and double check everything before cutting.

I guess i'm asking if the cut out piece of quarter panel can be reused (buttwelded back in) if it's in good shape. Would the gap from cutting with an angle grinder be too large?

If you re use the cut out piece, you will have to "butt" weld it and fill the gap. So it depends on how good of a welder you are and how good you want it to look, front and back. I assume that you are going to re-paint the car after body work etc...

I guess i'm asking if the cut out piece of quarter panel can be reused (buttwelded back in) if it's in good shape. Would the gap from cutting with an angle grinder be too large?
You will have to grind it to fit. Thats why you have the patch larger than the cut out area. Then you trim it to fit.

Auto Transport Service
Back