• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cutting 3/16 Aluminum with a small scroll saw?

sam dupont

Local time
5:04 PM
Reaction score
Need to cut a number of pieces of flat aluminum. Never owned or used one, but thinking of buying this one for a project I have going. How difficult is it to change blades?

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 9.56.54 AM.png

Blade change is simple but, these are made for wood. Going to take some time to make your cuts. I cut aluminum on my table saw (carbide tipped blade), straight cuts only of course.
Mike

Blade change is simple but, these are made for wood. Going to take some time to make your cuts. I cut aluminum on my table saw (carbide tipped blade), straight cuts only of course.
Mike

Yup, Table saw, skil-saw, router...band saw... That little scroll saw will do it but it'll try your patience..

IIRC you can get carbide coated wire "blades" for some models.

Those make tight corners in hard material much easier.

Safer saw with a metal cutting blade with the proper number of teeth for 3/16" material. Bandsaw is the cat's meow.
EDIT^^

Last edited:
Two things to remember: make sure your blade has at least three teeth in contact with the material edge, and
be sure to use wax on the blade to keep the aluminum from sticking to it!

I watch a Youtube video and the guy sends all sorts of stuff to a place called "Send-cut-send" and they do it with a laser. Apparently the prices are reasonable. Worth looking into before spending money on "what I consider" the most useless tool on the planet (but I'm not a wood guy!)

Two things to remember: make sure your blade has at least three teeth in contact with the material edge, and
be sure to use wax on the blade to keep the aluminum from sticking to it!
I've never heard that, but it makes sense for keeping the blade square and to prevent clawing into the material.

I should have said that I plan to cut holes. I don't want to change blades as much as put them through a drilled hole to cut a bigger elliptical hole. I have a saber saw. I could mount it on 3/4 inch plywood and flip it over in my vise.

I watch a Youtube video and the guy sends all sorts of stuff to a place called "Send-cut-send" and they do it with a laser. Apparently the prices are reasonable. Worth looking into before spending money on "what I consider" the most useless tool on the planet (but I'm not a wood guy!)
Checked them out, they need a CAD drawing and then it's a $29 minimum. I'll make the first ones with my Jig Saw and end grinder. If I need a bunch, it will be one more excuse for a plasma cutter.

Checked them out, they need a CAD drawing and then it's a $29 minimum. I'll make the first ones with my Jig Saw and end grinder. If I need a bunch, it will be one more excuse for a plasma cutter.
Plasma leaves a pretty gnarly edge on aluminum... If you have a router mount it on a table with the cutter facing up... If your really tricky make a guide & use a router bit with a guide bearing.... Like this...

Amazon product ASIN B000HZX4WE

Aluminum cuts really nice with a router and a good cutter.

I made this little table to mount my jigsaw on, it has a screw on base plate so I remove it and with longer screws, mount the saw. Works great.
Mike
Table.JPG
Saber Saw Table.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back