• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DA sand or media blast

I figured the firewall was going to be a pain figured I'd do my best with a drill n coned wire wheel
Where in SA is your shop?[/QUOTE]

Nothing against Donny, I would have loved to have him come out ot SoCal and do my car. At the time i was looking into blasting I couldn't find anybody that offered his level of service at his prices. But the drill and coned wire wheel method works ok. This after pic isn't a completed pic. I put some more work into it before i sprayed it with a rust inhibitor, then primer/sealer, then paint.

before.jpgafter.jpg

That came out pretty well. I'm nervous to pull all that stuff out of the firewall. not super experienced with that stuff.

There are plenty of cool people here to help you put it back together if you don't take enough pics, or lose your pics, or computer crashes. All have happened to me. This forum has saved my butt on more than 1 occasion. Go for it. And then buy a sticker for the back window when you're done that says "Built, not Bought!"

I agree with Donny as far as getting it "all" and blasting leaves a perfect surface for a good epoxy bond. What I did may be a good option for you, I don't have an expert blaster like Donny around here so I stripped the car of all panels, fasteners and the quarters were off as well then hauled it in for sandblasting where I told him to not touch the roof (no warp prone metal was touched). Then I stripped all of the panels with a stripper (you could just DA them) finishing it with a DA. The doors, fenders, hood and trunk lid usually only have rust at the bottoms or edges making them a pretty easy clean up with a small blaster. I paid the blaster about $350.00 and believe it or not he did a really good job. I really think you should at least buy a small hand held blaster to at least blast the rusty areas so it will get all of the pits cleaned out "I love freshly blasted metal".

I agree with Donny as far as getting it "all" and blasting leaves a perfect surface for a good epoxy bond. What I did may be a good option for you, I don't have an expert blaster like Donny around here so I stripped the car of all panels, fasteners and the quarters were off as well then hauled it in for sandblasting where I told him to not touch the roof (no warp prone metal was touched). Then I stripped all of the panels with a stripper (you could just DA them) finishing it with a DA. The doors, fenders, hood and trunk lid usually only have rust at the bottoms or edges making them a pretty easy clean up with a small blaster. I paid the blaster about $350.00 and believe it or not he did a really good job. I really think you should at least buy a small hand held blaster to at least blast the rusty areas so it will get all of the pits cleaned out "I love freshly blasted metal".

I have a tiny garage and with my small budget I can't come close to touching a compressor that can run tools or a small media blaster. Quite the conundrum. Lol

Is the engine in the car? I most def would wait until it is not for the engine compartment. Do what you need to do to drive it for next Summer, but stripping the whole thing when the budget does not allow it............ Plus you have to figure one thing will lead to another and the whole car will be in pieces.....

Hello,I got my doors,hood,trunk lid,and splash panels dipped $500.00.They look like NOS parts.Then I Sanded the quarters,just a thought Pm me and I can give you information.Dave L

The motor is just resting in the bay but im pulling it out in 2 weeks to have the cam degreed as I have no idea whats in it other then the fact I know its after market. but the tranny and everything but the seats are still bolted in

It takes a full-on commitment to do the entire car, first if your mindset is not there, the car will not get there. Looks like you're making some progress on the car with the proverbial wire brush! Can it work, of course it can! Overall, as long as you're having fun doing it, continue! I still love what I'm doing, when I don't, I'll find a new way to continue! Roofs and Hoods are easy to fook up, I take a lot of time doing them to not mess 'em up.

It takes a full-on commitment to do the entire car, first if your mindset is not there, the car will not get there. Looks like you're making some progress on the car with the proverbial wire brush! Can it work, of course it can! Overall, as long as you're having fun doing it, continue! I still love what I'm doing, when I don't, I'll find a new way to continue! Roofs and Hoods are easy to fook up, I take a lot of time doing them to not mess 'em up.

That's why I keep going back n forth on it. I really hate to put a new wiring harness in it to drive it around for a bit then pull all the wiring to get it blasted but it feels like thats what I need to do to do it right.
And I owe it to this awesome car to do it right.
Donny you're not to far from me would you mind if I swung by next week to check out the process?

Hey, did you call me today, sorry, was busy blasting, and heard the vm on the way home, figure I'd call you tomorrow. Yeah, sure, can't promise I'll be media blasting or messing with something else, but, I'll show you around my little stomping grounds.

Nah that wasn't me that called.
And that's ok I would just like to see the setup and get a better idea behind the operation. I appreciate it

If your going to media blast the car you have to wait till the local shops are slow. Stay in touch with them and be patient. I had orginnaly got a quote here in central Jersey for 2600.00. Believe me these guys earn their money. You would not want to breath the crap these people do even with a respirator. Forget about doing it yourself. You need 25 Horsepower minimum and Hi Volume air. Stripping with paint stripper is the worst idea you can do. it is a mess and never gets it all done. Grinding the paint off takes a great deal of time and is less messy than stripping. Stay in touch with local shops who blast and wait til their slow, every one gets slow no matter what. Then be prepared to get it done fast and have the cash ready. I had mine done in February last year, cold, snow and slow. The job was 1400.00. Don't argue the price, just be clear what is expected in writing. Be thankful and don't rub it in. The guy works hard for his money. Just inspect it pay and go.

There are a couple options like you are finding. The best non blast that we use in the body shop is a 8" pad that 3m makes that screws on a buffer either air or electric. Then use 80 grit 8" disc. Goes really fast and does a great job. Then you just use a small blaster for seams and corners. Wire wheel or bristle disc are great on irregular surfases. You can do a nice job this way but the all out best will awalys be media or dipped and e coated.

How strange, I thought it was you Coronet340 that called, but, it was a fellow in Memphis TN inquiring about getting his 70 Coronet blasted. I was flattered that he would think about bringing his car way down to me!

That shows quality of work.
Will you be in your shop tomorrow or Tuesday?

Auto Transport Service
Back