• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dam critters

ricks_RR

Local time
11:50 AM
Reaction score
been chasing a sound every once in awhile in my truck thought i may have a rock in a rocker panel or something . so this weekend i cleaned the engine compartment and took apart the air box to clean it up. and holy crap
20220814_193015.jpg

According to that sign, it looks like it's going to be a bad winter. :lol:

No acorns around here this year unless the oaks grow a new crop. Kept seeing something that looked like brown BB's on my driveway. Have one oak that overhangs it and the BB looking things were acorns. Never seen anything like it before but can't remember ever having a bad drought this early in the year.

I saw a few trees here in Central WI turning colors already

Crazy

Last year I had a married mice couple in my newer attached four stall garage during the winter
The problem was I never even knew it until I opened the hood on my Superbee in February and I saw some stuff on the intake manifold

First time ever that I could remember

I just about lost it freaking out

Same with my 2011 Ram 1500 - They got into the hood insulation

I found the nest behind one of my garage cabinets after my OCD kicked in

They where bringing insulation down from the garage attic somewhere in the walls
The nest under the cabinet was huge

I caught the married couple in that same attic with Jawz Traps and peanut butter a few days later before the babies where born , damn female was huge

I live in the country and own a couple of acres , but have never had mice in my garage

I set traps outside the garage and have caught plenty of mice and thirteen stripe gophers over the years but damn

I am thinking about those glue traps along the inside walls this winter ?

And I now keep traps in the garage attic loaded with peanut butter

I can’t believe it’s going on September already

i have killed over 200 mice just this year in a mouse traps . very bad year with them bastards . chipmunks and squirrels.

Fricken critters eat the antilock wiring on both my 96 Dakota's. I have repaired the wiring twice on the black truck. We have a mouse or two and a pair of chipmunks. They are cute but destructive.

I've had a few trucks that sat more than moved. About ten years ago my truck had a birds nest in the back frame rail. I saw them going under it non stop. I hosed it down many times and finally took it to the car wash. I thought the bottom blaster would end this problem. It didn't stop it, as a matter of fact, they worked harder. So then I had baby birds that the mother would feed non stop. I would work around them and their feeding times in order to use my truck. I was at a shop having a dash for a car sand blasted when the owner kept looking around my truck while we were talking. He said I think you have a nest under your truck, to which I replied, yes I know, I need to get home so that they can be feed. When I got home the mother bird was on the no parking sign by the street waiting for me. As soon as in pulled in she was under my truck feeding those babies. Here's the funny part, this went on for 4 years. It became the family joke. I never again tried to stop it.

I'll see if I can find the pics -

About 15 years ago, I had a small block alum headed crate motor in my 1988 Daytona. I had pulled the 727 to put a glide in it over the winter. I had it all buttoned up and figured I better turn the motor over by hand to make sure all was good.

I turned the motor over by hand and it would stop. Stop kind of hard. I scratched my head and thought maybe, somehow I forgot to run in a torque converter bolt and its hitting the housing. So crawled under it and nope all good, turned it back over and it would stop. Up and under the car a dozen times I figured the only thing it could be was something with the trans. So I dropped the transmission, breathed a sigh of relief and turned the car over by hand again.

Still stopped dead.

Now I was just absolutely lost. The car was running and driving, when I pulled it in the garage.

So after a bunch of whining and pissing and moaning I decided to tear the top end down. Pulled the heads off and I about fell over. Freaking mice crawled up my open headers and deposited corn through an open valve into the cylinder.

Dang things.... of course my old man told me to back the valves off if I was going to let it sit for a few months.....LOL

No acorns around here this year unless the oaks grow a new crop. Kept seeing something that looked like brown BB's on my driveway. Have one oak that overhangs it and the BB looking things were acorns. Never seen anything like it before but can't remember ever having a bad drought this early in the year.
I didn't think about it, but I noticed that the dog park produced no acorns this year. The trees are within 200 feet of a large creek and are sub-irrigated.

they can down damage very quickly . i have over 30 traps around my garages now that winter is fast coming i will up that so it will take me a hour each day but its worth it . i dont like poison because if they die and a hawk or an other animal grabs them they could die .

Many ranchers around here install wire cloth (a 1/4x1/4 inch grid) over the air cleaner inlet and exhaust pipe tips

Many ranchers around here install wire cloth (a 1/4x1/4 inch grid) over the air cleaner inlet and exhaust pipe tips
That's a good idea too....but engines with solid lift usually benefit letting off of the adjusters so the springs don't stay compressed for a long period of time. Some say it doesn't hurt them. I've never compressed a spring just to see if it made a difference or not.

Stay on top of rodent trapping around your cars. Little known fact is that wiring insulation used to be a petroleum product and it is now made from peanut oil.

yes it is made of peanut oil or soy base . i use victor RAT traps a little peanut butter and a few sunflower seeds stuck in the peanut butter and snap there go's another one . it takes down a chipmunk too .
but i use a chain or a cable and screw it chain of cable to a 3 foot 2x4 that so if a bigger animal comes along i dont lose a trap .

In garages/sheds I have had good luck with the bucket of water and the roller. You dont have to reload it every day and just every few days empty out the 15 or so that drowned.

5 gallon pail, a broom handle cut and screwed up top so it rolls.... put a bunch of peanut butter on it, and a small ramp for the critters to climb up. They smell the peanut butter, climb up, hit the roller and they flop into the water.

that sounds like an amusement park ride little critters . i will give it a try

that sounds like an amusement park ride little critters . i will give it a try
I am sure you can google it and get the jist of it, I have had great luck with that one.

The other one shown from amazon is pretty amazing, same principle really.

Auto Transport Service
Back