• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Keep or sell?

Detective D

Local time
4:49 AM
Reaction score
Alright, story time!
Last weekend was community rummage sale weekend in my small town. Wife and Mother in law take off to go "shopping". OK! Saves me a lot of walking.
Looking at ads, see estate sale. Some cool stuff, bunch of bikes... Im-a go check this out with the boy.

1998 Dodge Dakota. It's WI, some rust, but not what I would expect. Older guy had passed, sister selling stuff with help of nephews. Kinda wish I had met this guy, he had bikes going back to the 70's and some other cool stuff. everything had been sitting for several years. Bikes inside. They all ran. Dakota under a tree behind garage. has the green moss looking spots growing on it(you know the type if you live around here) and is filthy. Interior is a little dirty, but the thing is just not looking like a 25 year old truck.

So I bought a Dakota on the community rummage sale weekend. Wife found some knick knacks. She thought it was maybe not quite fair, but a night out fixed that up :)

I pressure washed the thing. Besides the rocker rust and the couple other smaller spots, the paint is actually really nice. Animal nest in the air cleaner. Oh man.... but coast is clear everywhere else. Fluids check out fine. Lets hook a battery up.
53,000 miles on the digital odometer.
It is a 318/5 speed.

I cleaned up the interior with some of that spray foam stuff. It is mint, minus a few scratches on the sides of the center console. Yes, I held my breath turning on the heater fan(I was certain noises and animal nest things would blow out) but everything was fine. The exterior needs a proper wash, but the clear coat is perfect from what I can tell.
After confirming it would run, I changed fluids out and flushed coolant. Drove it around the country block I live in. Brakes need work, very soft, due to mega rust on front rotors. Everything works minus AC. hand crank windows, but has CD player. All lights work, runs perfect, shifts smooth, no wierd noises.

Not going to say what I paid. However, it was such that I could not lose even if the engine was seized.

So here is the thing. I really like this little truck. 318 plus a stick in this truck makes it really fun to drive. It is comfy, it rides nice.
I don't really need it. I could daily it, but I have other vehicles I like also for that, plus my tow rig. But I like it, a lot.
But I could sell it. For considerably more then I paid now that it is cleaned up, but after brakes are better. I like cash too.

My responsible side says patch it up and make some cash. My gearhead side says "yeah, but it's fun and you like it. A lot."
I can get the rust fixed or do it myself, not worried about that.
I think if this was an auto I wouldn't even be torn about this. But it isn't. It's a 318/5 speed with 53000 miles from original owner and everything works and the interior is perfect. But that makes it worth more. UUUGGG!
my biggest thing is the 5 speed, because around here you don;t find them with the V8, and especially pre- 4.7 with the old Magnum in it. I am just having a heck of a time sorting my "need vs want" reflex out this time!

So Dakota owners past and present, what would you do in this situation?

I love my 99 Dakota SLT Club Cab 4x4 5.2ltr, (built in Dearborn Mi. not Mexico)
mine has 60k miles on it today (rust free, garage kept)
got it new off the local lot
the Sonora CDJR GM was driving it as his demo, it only had 1,200 miles
he specially ordered it for himself...
I convinced him to sell it to me, had limited slips (wish it had 3.91:1 instead of the 3.54:1)
bed liner & tow package, trailer brake package, buckets, console, tilt, rear slider
AC, cruise, TF Auto w/heavy duty cooler, loaded except cloth interior, still near perfect etc.,
I wanted leather... oh well
I got it in Nov. 1999
(I'd like to have the 5.9ltr, I had in my 98 Dakota R/T, sold back in 2007)

I traded in a 97 Buick LeSabre 12k miles loaded leather :blah: etc.,
I inherited from my Granddad, that car & $5,800+ tax & license
I think I did very well...

I've done a few bolts-ons that really woke it up
especially her in the mountains
1.7:1 HS rockers (stock is 1.6:1) that really woke it up
AEM Airbox 4" alum tube/intake & gauze filter, TB swirl spacer
Hypertech tuner
& a Flowmaster cat back mandrel 3" Series Delta 50, stainless tip too :blah:
bigger better tires 32x11.5 MS
I wish I could have found a 5-speed, I tried from like April to Nov 1999
even new it was near impossible, even dealer trades or a very long wait
if I had ordered one...
owned it for 24 years now, very lil issues ever
2 sensors, 1 ABS on the rear & a trans speed sensor
I just recently put front bakes on it, slotted drilled rotors
helps the braking, that stock wasn't bad at all, to begin with,
just needed replacing& I just wanted better..
Did Bilstein shock a while back too, helped some with body roll
that wasn't that bad to begin with...

can you tell I like my lil' truck
I have a new Gladiator Launch Edition,
I'd rather still drive my 99 Dakota SLT

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I say if you like it, keep it
you can always sell it later

Budnicks 99 Dakota 4x4 #1.JPG

Budnicks 99 Dakota 4x4 #3.JPG

Last edited:
I love my 99 Dakota SLT 4x4 5.2ltr, mine has 60k miles
got it new off the local lot
the Sonora CDJR GM was driving it as his demo, had 1,200 miles
I convinced him to sell it to me, had limited slips & tow package
hevay duty cooler etc.Nov. 1999
I've done a few bolts-ons that really woke it up
especially her in the mountains
1.7:1 HS rockers (stock is 1.6:1) that really woke it up
AEM Airbox 4" alum tube/intake & gauze filter, TB swirl spacer
Hypertech tuner
& a Flowmaster cat back mandrel 3" Series Delta 50, stainless tip too :blah:
bigger better tires 32x11.5 MS
I wish I could have found a 5-speed, I tried from like April to Nov 1999
even new it was near impossible, even dealer trades or a very long wait
if I had ordered one...
owned it for 24 years now, very lil issues ever
2 sensors, 1 ABS on the rear & a trans speed sensor
I just recently put front bakes on it, slotted drilled rotors
helps the braking, that stock wasn't bad at all, to begin with,
just needed replacing& I just wanted better..
Did Bilstein shock a while back too, helped some with body roll
that wasn't that bad to begin with...

can you tell I like my lil' truck
I have a new Gladiator Launch Edition,
I'd rather still drive my 99 Dakota SLT

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I say if you like it, keep it
you can always sell it later

View attachment 1468107
Out of curiosity, did you need to do anything to tune it after the 1.7 rockers?

Out of curiosity, did you need to do anything to tune it after the 1.7 rockers?
nope
I did have the Hypertech tuner reflashed, specific to the VIN code
it had a special high altitude tune in it, when I got the truck
right from Dodge, a tech their did it, I wanted to run a different tune

thinking maybe that was it
but didn't make any difference in the idle
it does idle about maybe 100-150-ish rpm higher thou
after I added the 1.7:1 rockers & gauze filter & airbox/swirl spacer
(like 850-ish rpm vs like 750rpm) no big deal
pretty sure it's because of the rockers
& tuner a lil' more advance I'd bet
& I never took out the leaded-in screw, on the TB
(they do that so you can't mess with it) to alter/change it
after all the mods listed, breathes much freer flowing, sounds good too

Last edited:
I had a 94 Sport CC 5.2L/5 speed that I ordered new. Loved that truck. Only got rid of it because I upgraded to an 01 R/T
- 5.9L/auto. Still kinda miss the 5 speed.

I still have my 88 Dakota that I bought new. 4x4 6 cylinder automatic. My daily driver for 20 years. Now sits on the driveway in the summer. Always have a use for the box, and adult kids always need something hauled. Gets stored in the winter. Nice shape with minimal rust. Hate to part with it so I keep it. It has been a great truck for me.

I got a fully functional shaker hood kit for one of those. A real quality piece, sturdy and straight finished both sides fiberglass hood,shaker uses a k&n filter. Fits 5.2 318,and 5.9 360. Could probably be made to fit the V6 too.

20220921_204014.jpg

20220921_203511.jpg

20220921_203532.jpg

20220921_203559.jpg

20220921_203917.jpg

20220921_203935.jpg

If the body is fairly good and the frame wasn't rotted I would keep it. I had a 2000 and 2 96's. Both lasted 150,000+ each before dying a miserable death caused by salt brine solution. I still have the 2 96's but they will be leaving soon. They are both ready to fold in half.

I loved my 97 Dakota extra cab 4x4,318 automatic. It towed really good for what it was. The rear axle started getting noisy so I traded it in. I kept the shaker hood,and put the stock hood back on it. I always figured that I would get another one so I saved the hood all these years!

If the body is fairly good and the frame wasn't rotted I would keep it. I had a 2000 and 2 96's. Both lasted 150,000+ each before dying a miserable death caused by salt brine solution. I still have the 2 96's but they will be leaving soon. They are both ready to fold in half.
When I was under it for fluids I looked around.
The frame has spots with factory finish on it yet. Factory stainless exhaust looks like it is a year old. Most of the underside looks like it lived in a dry climate, not WI.

Except the lower control arms for the front end. laminating rust lol, although they are both very solid yet. Probably pitch them when the ball joints go bad later if I still have it.

Body has WI rust areas. The inside of front fender right up front is going bad, but hasn't made the notorious hole yet. The rockers are bad, passenger the bottom edge is still there, driver the whole rocker is almost gone. Bottom edge of doors started, but I blame that on Chrysler's brilliant idea to put a rubber strip there. Good job! Now it can hold the water there against the rocker when it rains!
Some on bottom of cab in the extended cab area. bed looks good, but I really, really doubt it is good under the flares. Still, I wouldn't bother with the bed if I sold it.
And of course rear bumper. This is the "Sport" version so color matched grill and bumpers. Chrysler made the rear bumpers out of chinesium for the 97-04 models, and the painted ones evaporate with salt on them. this is no different, I can see through it from multiple angles lol. Looks really out of place with the rest of the body, thats how bad it got.

i don't think I mentioned in OP, this is a Sport. It is white, with the bright red "Dakota Sport" decals on the doors and red lettering on the tailgate. I think that is another reason why it has grown on me so much, it is pretty sharp. The "sport" word on the passenger side let fly with the pressure wash :( but it would never have survived long anyway as I wasn;t hitting it that hard. better to find out now then after fixing some body work and having it come off after.

My 2 wheeler needs more fixing than it's worth and needs to go. I thought my 4 wheeler could be used through another winter saving my newer truck. Well the frame is very rusty and it's starting to buckle. The box to cab gap is getting tighter at the top. There has been some contact at the top. I noticed this a few weeks ago. Ya, this one needs to go bye bye as well.

20230428_103952.jpg

20230428_104001.jpg

Last edited:
I L O V E my '00 5.9 CC R/T.

Most dependable vehicle I've ever owned.

Also likely the newest vehicle I can still do 90% of the work on by myself.

167,500 miles.

We've had six Dakotas and a Durango in our family.

My mom has a '02 crew cab 3.9. Longest she has ever owned a vehicle.

All ours have been automatics.

Curious as to what a 5.2 5 speed gets MPG wise.

Ours have been- 3.9- 18 MPG/ 5.2- 16 MPG/ 5.9 13 MPG

Alright, story time!
Last weekend was community rummage sale weekend in my small town. Wife and Mother in law take off to go "shopping". OK! Saves me a lot of walking.
Looking at ads, see estate sale. Some cool stuff, bunch of bikes... Im-a go check this out with the boy.

1998 Dodge Dakota. It's WI, some rust, but not what I would expect. Older guy had passed, sister selling stuff with help of nephews. Kinda wish I had met this guy, he had bikes going back to the 70's and some other cool stuff. everything had been sitting for several years. Bikes inside. They all ran. Dakota under a tree behind garage. has the green moss looking spots growing on it(you know the type if you live around here) and is filthy. Interior is a little dirty, but the thing is just not looking like a 25 year old truck.

So I bought a Dakota on the community rummage sale weekend. Wife found some knick knacks. She thought it was maybe not quite fair, but a night out fixed that up :)

I pressure washed the thing. Besides the rocker rust and the couple other smaller spots, the paint is actually really nice. Animal nest in the air cleaner. Oh man.... but coast is clear everywhere else. Fluids check out fine. Lets hook a battery up.
53,000 miles on the digital odometer.
It is a 318/5 speed.

I cleaned up the interior with some of that spray foam stuff. It is mint, minus a few scratches on the sides of the center console. Yes, I held my breath turning on the heater fan(I was certain noises and animal nest things would blow out) but everything was fine. The exterior needs a proper wash, but the clear coat is perfect from what I can tell.
After confirming it would run, I changed fluids out and flushed coolant. Drove it around the country block I live in. Brakes need work, very soft, due to mega rust on front rotors. Everything works minus AC. hand crank windows, but has CD player. All lights work, runs perfect, shifts smooth, no wierd noises.

Not going to say what I paid. However, it was such that I could not lose even if the engine was seized.

So here is the thing. I really like this little truck. 318 plus a stick in this truck makes it really fun to drive. It is comfy, it rides nice.
I don't really need it. I could daily it, but I have other vehicles I like also for that, plus my tow rig. But I like it, a lot.
But I could sell it. For considerably more then I paid now that it is cleaned up, but after brakes are better. I like cash too.

My responsible side says patch it up and make some cash. My gearhead side says "yeah, but it's fun and you like it. A lot."
I can get the rust fixed or do it myself, not worried about that.
I think if this was an auto I wouldn't even be torn about this. But it isn't. It's a 318/5 speed with 53000 miles from original owner and everything works and the interior is perfect. But that makes it worth more. UUUGGG!
my biggest thing is the 5 speed, because around here you don;t find them with the V8, and especially pre- 4.7 with the old Magnum in it. I am just having a heck of a time sorting my "need vs want" reflex out this time!

So Dakota owners past and present, what would you do in this situation?

I had a 98 i bought in 99 with 10k miles on it.. drove it for like 14 years, was v6 with a stick and i LOVED that truck.. easily my favorite truck i have owned. Just a solid truck that isn't stupidly huge (wish they still made them i would own a new one). If you like it.. fix it and keep it.. they are great..

P.S. fix that rust ASAP and stop any other rust.. once it takes hold it goes downhill fast...

My 2 wheeler needs more fixing than it's worth and needs to go. I thought my 4 wheelercould be used through another winter saving my newer truck. Well the frame is very rusty and it's starting to buckle. The box to cab gap is detting tighter at the top. There has been some contact at the top. I noticed this a few weeks ago. Ya, this one needs to go bye bye as well.

View attachment 1468244

View attachment 1468245

Plus those bushes are still a mess :)

I’m a Dakota guy, had 2 of them after a 1500. Also have a ’91 2500 with a stick for plowing. Something about Dak’s I like, besides being a mopar guy. I did a moderate resto on my ’05 2 years ago. Rust-free box out of Chippawa Falls, re-pop fenders, bumper, etc. Body shop did the paint, just the fenders/box and I did the prep. That place in CF had tons of old rust-free Dodge truck parts, was like a kid in a candy store out there. Found that getting Dakota boxes isn’t an easy find, around here anyway. I met the guy at Iola show. If I was younger, might want to do the ’91 as he had boxes, cabs, fenders.

Your 318/manual IS a SWEET find. If you have a spot for it, I’d sure keep it. Decided to resto mine as it’s a well-optioned Laramie with 85k after looking at many trucks for $20-30+k without as many options mine has. And few Dakotas. It’s the right size truck for 75% of the stuff I need it for. Four grand later, my truck looks pretty new.

Lol, fact that you’re torn about this – hang onto it.

Cooling system issues including the belt tensioner (mine eats these like candy, but they're under $20) are the worst issues with these trucks.

...and you won't have the automatic trans issues that were also very common.

That gen I/IB cab is way more comfortable than gen II as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back