• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana 60 assembly color

69 hemibee

Local time
6:38 AM
Reaction score
Getting ready to restore the dana in the superbee and want to make sure I have it the right color. I believe the axle is gloss black but what about the leaf spring forward perch/box. Is it black as well or just gray?

Are we talking 68-70....listing a year is helpful.....

The housing is not gloss black it is semi gloss. The leaf spring are either semi gloss black or natural. You have to determine from your original springs if you can see remnants of black...

Thread revival. I am working on my suspension right now and am trying to figure out rear end colors. 72 RR/GTX, 4 speed with Dana 60.

In looking at the components, it seems that the entire Dana, and shocks and rear sway bar, were all dipped in the same gray undercoating evident on the rest of the car. In all of my research, I don't recall seeing the rear end, or a sway bar for that matter, not being black.

Any inputs appreciated. Thanks.

20190226_152647.jpg 20190226_152719.jpg 20190226_164112.jpg

Thread revival. I am working on my suspension right now and am trying to figure out rear end colors. 72 RR/GTX, 4 speed with Dana 60.

In looking at the components, it seems that the entire Dana, and shocks and rear sway bar, were all dipped in the same gray undercoating evident on the rest of the car. In all of my research, I don't recall seeing the rear end, or a sway bar for that matter, not being black.

Any inputs appreciated. Thanks.

View attachment 726127 View attachment 726128 View attachment 726129
Chrysler NEVER deviated from natural steel, Cosmoline and Black for any of the chassis components.......

Looks like someone back in the day spray boded the underside of your car.....

Whats with the chain around the Dana, theft prevention?

Ha ha, yeah, the chain is for theft prevention. Right now its sitting in our carport until I build my shop - the concrete guy was supposed to pour the slab yesterday but all this freaking rain is slowing things down.

So, this rear end was spray painted at some point, huh? So if I wanted to keep it "original" color, I would go back to black. I'm going to start a separate thread on this build, but the quick story was my uncle was second owner in 1975, drove it for 4 years until he blew the engine and it has been sitting ever since. There are a few anomalies that we can't figure out in the years he didn't own it, but I want to get it back to "original" as close to it was when he drove it.

Auto Transport Service
Back