• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana 60 Installation

What center section did you go with? I bought mine with the helical S-Trac, so no friction modifier needed. Am thinking of buying another for my other B-body and trying to decide if it is worth the $320. upgrade.

Driving a spool isn't too bad on the street once you learn how....and they can be fun on a wet street! :D

Driving a spool isn't too bad on the street once you learn how....and they can be fun on a wet street! :D
They do handle a little different.
Even on the track it seems like once you get going left or right it wants to stay that way.

They do handle a little different.
Even on the track it seems like once you get going left or right it wants to stay that way.
Key is to set up the car where it launches straight from the get go. Now if the track has a slick spot, that's another story. Also, if you screw the tire beads to the wheel, make sure the screws are in line on the wheel (inside edge to outside edge) rim helps more than most know.

Waaaaaaaah
Screenshot_20220506-103156.png

that sucks

glad you got the S60 install all sorted

next weekend :praying: maybe

I did make it out last weekend, twice actually.

Friday (the 13th) I went to Quaker City for Test and Tune since I was hoping to get a bunch of runs in. I didn't really understand the program ahead of time, so I ended up entering the No Box gamblers race. We had a rain delay so I only made 3 passes for the night.
New best 60' of 1.694, but I was having issues (driving) and didn't make a full pass until the first round of eliminator.
I was hoping to run 1/4 mile, but we only ran 1/8 due to the wet.
I lost in the 1st round due to a .220 light, but I did run 7.8009 on a 7.80 dial.

Sunday I entered Street and No Box at Magnolia.
I think I ended up making 9 passes, won 2 rounds in Street and the buy back in No Box.

Unfortunately the car is really hard to handle. I still need to get a handle on the Caltracs, and the Clutch Tamer. I made some progress with both, but need some actual test and tune.

I put a little pre-load on the left Caltrac, and it helped some, but it still wants to turn left.

I know you guys will ask about the shocks. They are just plain factory style shocks, Monroes or something.
I have new ones on order, Viking DA for the rear, and Strange SA for the front. I had to get the S60 in before ordering to take measurements and delivery is going to be a couple more weeks.
The fronts for a 73 are very tough to find.

FB_IMG_1652800735540.jpg
Here's a picture just a few feet out.
Looks like too much separation in the rear, maybe unloading the tires.

I have the front spring mount in the lower hole, perhaps I should move it up?

I don't know anything about Caltracs, and I'm an idiot. To me it looks like the old MP SS springs pushing the axle into the ground.

I don't know anything about Caltracs, and I'm an idiot. To me it looks like the old MP SS springs pushing the axle into the ground.
Yeh, and I guess that's what they are supposed to do. Just maybe need to control it better.

View attachment 1286087 Here's a picture just a few feet out.
Looks like too much separation in the rear, maybe unloading the tires.

I have the front spring mount in the lower hole, perhaps I should move it up?
unloading the tires?!? Looks like you got air time! Ya I would move the springs up. And cal tracs want all the front end movement you can get. Lower the front into the weeds.

More test and tune last night.
It's just too tough to get down the track.
I'm going to have to wait until at least the rear shocks are in.
I have a bunch of details to address anyway.

I still need to get a handle on the Caltracs, and the Clutch Tamer.
So proud of another 3 pedal brother!!
I have been so frustrated with not being able to get to the track after investing so much money and shop time in traction, strengthening, and launch control stuff.
I'm using the HitMaster, same company as the Clutch Tamer, our forum's very own @weedburner .
I did go with the Smith Racecraft Assassin traction bars though. Ground clearance split the difference between the CalTracks Jr? and the lower hanging CalTracks, and I like the way they clamp and contact the leaf springs better.

Front shocks are difficult in 73. Stock they are too short...Nobody makes any. I fabbed up a bracket and welded it to the upper shock mount to extend the shock length up about an inch. Now I can run a shock that's available. (Chevelle, I think)

Bryand

Front shocks are difficult in 73. Stock they are too short...Nobody makes any. I fabbed up a bracket and welded it to the upper shock mount to extend the shock length up about an inch. Now I can run a shock that's available. (Chevelle, I think)

Bryand
Nice fix.
That will be my next solution if the Strange ones don't come in for some reason.

Starting to seem like I am on the cubic money program.
IMG_20220531_163516092.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back