• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana 60

For now keeping thw spool with 4.56 gears.
I bought a D60 TracLok from a member here only to find out ot has an odd deck height that I cant use. MAKE SURE TO VERIFY THAT!!!
It's not a series 3 or 4 which are different.
I'll probably end up buying an Eaton.
Dana 60 4.10 & Down 2.225″
4.56 & Up 2.420

View attachment 929972
Sound like you might have gotten a dana 61 carrier.

Check and see what number is casted on the rear of the brace on housing . If it is a dana 60 there should be the number 60 on brace . Clean off four housing braces that is cast next to the rear cover . 60 dana rears have a few choices as far as posi carriers . I bought a trac lock for a 60 years ago that turned out to have dana 70 parts in it and had to get all new internal parts for it so beware buying used and mismatched parts . It also turned out the 4:10 gear set I had was a thing gear set for a for the wrong posi unit I had . So by the time all this added up I could have purchased a brand new unit with all the good stuff ready to install . Food for thought John

Check and see what number is casted on the rear of the brace on housing . If it is a dana 60 there should be the number 60 on brace . Clean off four housing braces that is cast next to the rear cover . 60 dana rears have a few choices as far as posi carriers . I bought a trac lock for a 60 years ago that turned out to have dana 70 parts in it and had to get all new internal parts for it so beware buying used and mismatched parts . It also turned out the 4:10 gear set I had was a thing gear set for a for the wrong posi unit I had . So by the time all this added up I could have purchased a brand new unit with all the good stuff ready to install . Food for thought John
I hear you. I just have my eye on this cause I can get it for $100. I can go check it out to see if it is or not. But I have 8 3/4’s for both roadrunners. Just though it’d be a nice option. They’re both 383 cars I’m going to build them into low deck 440s so far. And they’re both 4 speeds

Looks like a monster of a rearend. If you like doing stuff the hard way then that is a good project for you!
I’ve got both my runners and they both have 8 3/4s saw it for $100 thought it could be a fun project.

So this is a Dana 60 and I can get it for $100, the guy has is lying around. Is it worth it?
It is definitely worth $100.00. If you don't want it I'll buy it. Well I just noticed you're in Ca. not worth it.

Last edited:
Hate to thru hard luck sad news sorrow an misery, on your project, but if this unit came from an rv, chances are it has full floating rear axels, the photos didnt show that part. at any rate i would say if its not a drop in, same tubes perches drive line angle, flange to flange measurement, an not to forget bolt pattern for your wheels! you may be throughing good money down the drain. if you need a diff call Dr. diff, you can always use the internals in the proper mopar diff. remember one side of the mopar diff has a brg take up, to set the clearance in the axel brgs. I wish you all the best on this venture. Good luck Hogranch

The one in my car had full floaters. So did the one in my sons 62. Torched the brackets off. Cut the ends off in a Harbor Freight miter saw with a $10 10" cut off wheel from Lowes. fitted it with new ends, axles, spool, and perches. Still has the junkyard 3.55s and bearings in it.
Doug

As advised be sure it is not a Dana 61, they have 3 1/4 inch axle tubes, Dana 60s have 3". The axle splines vary from 10 in early models to 23 to 30 but you can change the side gears to get what you want. I have cut down a few over the years and it works great. You don't really need a pinion snubber. Pull an axle on the motor home diff, see what you have. Pull the fill plug and feel for the split on the trac lok posi carrier. If you can't feel the split just inside the hole then it could be non posi or the weaker of the two posi units. You can use the leaf spring mounts and hubs off of your 8 3/4 if you want to sacrifice it, or buy new from Dutchman axle in Idaho. If I remember right the leaf mounts are 44 center to center and the overall axle width is 62" for a B body. Then go burn rubber without worrying about sending the 8 3/4 to lunch!

Your pictures seems to just be a teaser as you don't seem to know much detail about it. A lot of good advice here based on the limited info given, and we can't get very much info from the pictures that you do have. Is this for real or just fun ? Without any more info. Just buy it. It is only Money$$. Scarp is worth a couple bucks a pound if you don't use it.

Your pictures seems to just be a teaser as you don't seem to know much detail about it. A lot of good advice here based on the limited info given, and we can't get very much info from the pictures that you do have. Is this for real or just fun ? Without any more info. Just buy it. It is only Money$$. Scarp is worth a couple bucks a pound if you don't use it.
I hear you, It’s k OK n a toss up of me buying it.

Could be a DANA 70 in that motorhome. The motorhome I parted out was a Dana 70. I used and cut down a Dana 60 out of a 1 ton truck for my street/strip race car.

@Burns69RT, do you know for sure if it is a limited slip? I know that all the dana60s in passenger mopar were suregrip, but I don't know about pickup, motor home versions.
Do you know what gear ratio it has.? If it is higher than 3.54, ( lower numericaly) it's likely a dana 61.
In my opinion, if it's a limited slip, it's easily worth the hundred bucks, and worth messing with. If it's an open rear, it's not, simple as that.

Here is the rub, im glad you got to use the series 70. its only a few lb.s more of unsprung weight. most all of these 60,s 70,s mopars are becoming worth more money daily, it would seem prudent to conserve the value in the vehicle than load it up with non stock parts. a 9 inch ford would be a better choice than any dana, closer to stock look an fit plus parts avalibility is over the top. bolt pattern is the same, cheap axels any size you want. those ford diffs are tough. they even look like a mopar diff and dont weigh 240 lbs.! Just a thought.
rm21j8g188155

I weighed my Dana 60 with a spool. It started out as a 8 lug. Flange to flange with axles, studs, bearings, cover, and ladder bar brackets, 160lbs.
Doug

Last edited:
I saw a test where they ran a twelve bolt, a nine inch, and a dana, all the same width, with stock drum brakes. They were all put under a chevelle to compare horsepower loss. In the process, they weighed all three. The dana was heaviest, but only by about 20 lbs. The incredibly heavy dana, just isnt. The dana also used up less power than the nine inch, but we all knew that.
Granted, the truck danas are heavier, because of thicker and sometimes larger axle tubes, but that just makes them stronger in a full race situation. Seen any nine inchers under a race car that didn't have a back brace lately?

Jack Chrisman wish'd he'd had a brace
for those of you that do not know the story the center section rotated around the tubes in the slingshot
great competitor and friend

picked up a Dana 60 from local recyclers for under $75 bucks non posi 4.10 gear was under a 1966 international truck saving for future project, man I hated when they sold the place it was my extra income.

Auto Transport Service
Back