• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana tricks I learned today

Finally felt good enough to go out and work. Gear is in. Made 5 different pinion shim selections. Kept going until it was to deep and backed it out .005". Opened the backlash up to .012" we'll see if that works better.
Doug

20221129_164724.jpg

20221129_164741.jpg

20221129_164830.jpg

So the "rubbed away" part is the contact patch area of the pinion gear? I'm surprised that the "system" doesn't make greater contact across the surface area. Seems like that would be "stronger" if it did.

Perhaps he didn’t put any drag on the carrier when he spun it to get the pattern. I always do.

In all my years doing axles I've only ever had one that covered the entire tooth. And yes this pattern was loaded.
Doug

And if anyone buys a new Sure Grip, it is most likely coming from China and the radius isn't going to be the same as a factory unit. Check your shim ID's before using them!! Been meaning to start a thread about that mess.

Auto Transport Service
Back