• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dash harness

ord27

Local time
11:37 PM
Reaction score
I'm about to begin assembling the dash on my '70 Bee rallye dash.
I've got all of the parts ready to go on. I'm getting the frame painted in the correct black paint.
I also have the Dakota Digital RTX package.
I've read a lot of comments about which harness to go with.
Most seem to like M&H, and advise staying away from Painless.

I will be putting in and amp and a hidden stereo. I'm going to use a factory speaker fader bezel and a toggle to power between stock 8 track, and hidden bluetooth stereo.
It's an A/C 4 speed car. Power windows, rear defrost car...

With all of that in mind, I'm a bit skeptical of the stock type of fuse box.
American Auto wire states that their harness can easily be used with the DD dash.

I'm going to make a stand that will allow me to rotate the dash and have it in the house while I build it out.
What are yalls thoughts?
sorry for the ramble
Thanks
Merry Christmas

If you can test everything before you put it in, that is great! I had an OER Speedo and OER Amp gauge go south in 50 miles of shakedown in my 70 RR. Speedo stopped working but odometer still functions. Amp gauge got out of alignment. So, I'm taking it apart over the holidays. I got the original speedo redone by Redline and hoping it will hold up. In regard to Dakota, I had one of their VFD 7 segment blue displays from a few years back and the tachometer and gas gauge stopped working after two years. I really would just love to put in the new RTX because it looks awesome, but a little concerned due to the one I used to own. But I would test and test and test before you button everything back up.

Last edited:
I researched some dash stands and came up with this one. Works nice and easy-peasy!
20210829_152626.jpg

So you think that the stock style fuse panel from m&h would work just fine?
I’ve never understood why people are scared of the stock style glass fuse panels. Absolutely nothing wrong with them as long as they’re in good shape.

I had a couple scrap pieces of steel and mounted mine to a work bench. On a short stool I could work on either side. Nice and comfortable and tools right where you need them. I also powered the dash up and did a function test.

100_1906.JPG

100_1905.JPG

100_1904.JPG

I’ve never understood why people are scared of the stock style glass fuse panels. Absolutely nothing wrong with them as long as they’re in good shape.
you're probably right. I'm just wondering if there is enough room for all of the things that I need powered. Or, if there is a better option out there

Yes. There were some changes made to accommodate the new cluster. The feeds to the ammeter were cut and removed. The oil pressure and water temp wires were removed and the speedometer cable removed. I did the MAD electrical upgrade with a few small twists. The feeds to the lights are orange wires. Those were disconnected and taped. Overall, most of the original harness was in excellent shape and reused. I disconnected the "key in ignition" buzzer.
I did switch from the stock fuse panel to one from a later model with more terminals.

1 6 VS 7.jpg

I later added an auxiliary fuse panel for the other accessories.

I had to replace my fusebox because mine had too much surface rust, and the only thing that
I didn't like about the re-pop was that the male connector spades swiveled. The stock setup
is rigid. I think that might be a spot for corrosion and high resistance later?

Thanks for the response. Dash stands and dashes loop great! I'm leaning toward the American auto wire. Anyone used their kit?

Thanks for the response. Dash stands and dashes loop great! I'm leaning toward the American auto wire. Anyone used their kit?
If you use these kits you had better be prepared for lots of terminal crimping. Better buy the best crimpers. These kits take a lot of work and a lot of taping to even look close to stock.

Also the American Auto Wire kits are designed for the one wire alternators.

Auto Transport Service
Back