• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Day one! 68 Road Runner

Gerrs69rr

Local time
12:51 AM
Reaction score
We
20210328_114425.jpg
sitting in drivewayfor nearly three years it's time! Like a lot of us with this being a hobby it's tough sometimes cutting out enough time and money to do a complete rebuild (in a 1 1/2 car garage). I have been collecting parts and stashing money aside for three years. I had to control myself from the get go not to rip it apart and scatter parts around for three years and never really get anything done. I had to find storage for my 69 to open up shop space for the 68. Well today the 69 is in storage, inventoried parts, cleaned out car (it's been it's own storage unit for three years) and moved in garage for disassembling. I still work full time so time will be precious, but I have spent three years making a plan and feel confident about this build. This forum has inspired, motivated and encouraged me to hit the ground running so stay tuned! 20210328_114333.jpg 20210328_114413.jpg

1968 is my preference. They have more going on, front and rear. Nothing like 60's Plymouth trunk and taillight trim.

I like Plano compartment boxes with notes for keeping track of bolts and such.

Pros - survivor car, never been wrecked, matching numbers, it runs and drives!
body lines are great, doors close with one finger, grill and trunk panel don't have a dent on them, has every piece of chrome.

Cons - needs floor and trunk pans, both quarters, wheel wells and several rust repairs, ok a lot of rust repairs. All mechanical systems, fuel, brakes etc.

20211219_104309.jpg 20211219_104147.jpg 20211219_104130.jpg 20211219_104230.jpg 20211219_104212.jpg 20211219_104255.jpg

1968 is my preference. They have more going on, front and rear. Nothing like 60's Plymouth trunk and taillight trim.

I like Plano compartment boxes with notes for keeping track of bolts and such.
Sounds better then the 50 coffee cans I saved, they take up to much room, thanks for the tip

Going to be a great project.

Nice project that car looks very familiar did you buy it in Hampton Va

The best way to handle a big project is to START. Looks like the time has come. All your planning is paying off. Best of luck to you, Sir.

Nice project! I bet in the last three years of setting outside you had lots of people asking if it's for sale....

Good luck with her! My Dad had a 68', an amazing car especially when your a 7year old. Just curious: how many people came to your door in the last 3 plus years to see if it was for sale?

Good luck with her! My Dad had a 68', an amazing car especially when your a 7year old. Just curious: how many people came to your door in the last 3 plus years to see if it was for sale?
At least 15, it's amazing how many people actually new things about road runners or had family that owned one. This is actually a father daughter build, she's grown up around this hobby and at 19 now she stills enjoys getting dirt under her fingernails and bloody knuckles, she knows the deal, you build it you own it.

Auto Transport Service
Back