• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dead in the Water

Dibbons

Local time
6:09 AM
Reaction score
This morning about 9:30 AM, I was really going to town removing carpet adhesive from interior sheet metal with a drill and abrasive wheel when the tool just up and quit. With the drill not making a racket any longer, I could hear music coming from the next door neighbor's back yard. Well, he had power and I don't so what's up?

My main circuit breakers at the meter are 60 amp. I unlocked the little door to access the breaker and it looked in place, but I switched it off and on anyway. No luck.

I remember my last power bill was slightly higher than last year's at this time. I looked around for it because I remember putting it aside to pay it, but I don't remember taking care of that chore. Here in Mexico, the electricity is billed once every two months. I looked everywhere but could not find the current bill.

I took a previous bill and drove twenty minutes to the CFE main office (federal power commission) where one can use pay stations (similar to ATM machines). After scanning the code on the old bill, a question on the screen asked if power had been disconnected? I assumed it had been and answered "yes" whereby about five dollars was added on to the amount due (now about equivalent of $35.00 USD).

Arrived home about an hour later (after running a couple of errands while I was downtown) to find still no power. I called the headquarters and was told since I made payment today, a technician would be dispatched by 6:00 PM at the latest to restore service. About the time I hung up the phone, I heard a vehicle out front. The tech was just showing up (now about 12:30 PM) and in about three minutes after fooling with the meter I was back in business. I don't know if they knocked my power out remotely or if a tech showed up to do that too.

Without any electricity, I kind of went into a panic. Can't get anything done around here without "juice" except maybe run the gas-powered leaf blower. I could have paid on-time online with American Express. Visa is accepted, but my USA issued Visa is always rejected.

dead in the water.jpg

You should go Solar if you can afford it, especially at your location on the globe!
Having your power shut off is no fun! I feel your pain.

Auto Transport Service
Back