• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dealership Quotes $30,000 to Replace Battery in a $10,000 Chevrolet Volt

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:59 AM
Reaction score
And this is what "those in charge" want us forced into. Funk that.

thumbnail.jpg

Vote with your wallet! DON'T BUY THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I'm thinking my old cars will be increasing in value very soon!

And I thought the dude with the Tesla I read about getting a $12,000 quote for a batt was outrageous. Sure, we're all set to have an EV in everyone's garage...what dah..

I thought GM was having a recall on those batteries.

Curious to know why a battery is being
replaced after only 70.5K miles?
That's less than 5 years run time @
15K miles/year.

I work at a GM dealership, priced out that part number for battery. It lists for around 12,000 $ Canadian. Looks like a fake estimate to me.

Curious to know why a battery is being
replaced after only 70.5K miles?
That's less than 5 years run time @
15K miles/year.
If they use the 110 charger it shortens battery life, so does partial charging, completely discharging, etc. Also defects in manufacturing by the battery makers, which is VERY common.

We just spent $13,000 on six batteries for our Lektro at work

$4,000 more then I could have bought a year earlier

Regardless of what the actual obscene costs are for these batteries, the fact is that this farce is being forced on the public.

$12k sounds more correct (but not reasonable) but considering the additional waste disposal costs some States are talking about on the old batteries, it’s no less ridiculous especially on a 70,000 mile car. I suspect most owners will tell the dealer to take it in on trade for something else and let GM and the dealer absorb the worst of the cost. They probably would only offer a small trade in anyway, it’s not going to get $12 - 15,000 smaller.

Regardless of what the actual obscene costs are for these batteries, the fact is that this farce is being forced on the public.
X2, well said and the bottom line!

Snopes is a known hard left-leaning website and should never be considered an objective source of
tangible information on anything.

Snopes is a known hard left-leaning website and should never be considered an objective source of
tangible information on anything.
Yes; I have in the past challenged them on 4 or 5 things and proven them to be wrong with incontrovertible evidence. Once they were 'cornered' , they stopped communication...
The 'narrative' uber alles....

There is one item that I have to see regarding EV battery replacements; STATE/COMMONWEALTH "DISPOSAL" FEE; does one ACTUALLY believe their state doesn't want $$$$$ with regards to "recycling" said batteries?? Makes up for lost gasoline tax. NJ is a guarentee

Auto Transport Service
Back