• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dealership Quotes $30,000 to Replace Battery in a $10,000 Chevrolet Volt

I will take your word on that about SNOPES. This invoice has exploded social media. In this case it would appear that someone called the dealership to confirm, as like most all of you I have no interest in an EV at the moment. Costs like this are one main reason. In this case there appears to be a reason for the high cost for batteries.
I know it makes for good lively conversation. Just posted the SNOPES response because it seems like their explanation is reasonable. Simple solution would be to call the dealership and confirm if what they report it real.
I don't personally care, just thought I would post something that might explain the ridiculous high parts cost. Cheers.

Cost aside, I like how these cars are promoted as if everyone in the country has a driveway and an attached 2 car garage to recharge at home. I'd still like to know how this is supposed to work in more densely populated areas where you're lucky to find a parking space in the first place.

I wonder if we could swap out the batteries for a complete drive train (front wheel drive would be easiest) and still have everything else work to run the car? Need to check the schematics. I know we could do it for less than 5k

Weren't OMNI/HORIZON/TURISMO/RAMPAGE and ,yes, DA RABBIT, played with making them into electric cars (baby truck) back in the 80s??? VAGUELY remember the SIMCA was tinkered with too.

Blow up that Chevy volt! It will make another great viral video! KABOOM! LOL!

There is one item that I have to see regarding EV battery replacements; STATE/COMMONWEALTH "DISPOSAL" FEE; does one ACTUALLY believe their state doesn't want $$$$$ with regards to "recycling" said batteries?? Makes up for lost gasoline tax. NJ is a guarentee
Last one out of jersey turn out the lights....

just from a brief search, the cost on the invoice is for a NEW battery which in no longer being manufactured. You can only get remans now and they are still pricey at $7000

when will the 'class action' lawsuits begin ?

Capitalism 101/Economics
stupid people falling for the scam, & incentives

don't buy **** you need to be bribed (govt. or other incentives)
to buy

Economics 101/Capitalism
let the market dictate whether it's worth it,
not a govt. scam/mandate or govt. incentives,
reeks of campaign donors (GMs) fleecing/strongarming the candidate,
after the elections
paybacks for corp. donations

& paid for by taxpayers incentive, it's not their money
it never is or they wouldn't do that ****

bottom line is, it's a POS & a bad deal all around

Auto Transport Service
Back