• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decision Time -- What should we do?

No I passed on the 400. Will probably regret it someday but if I am going to buy another motor I want it to be a 400 hp and this one wasn't. The 72 440 we bought at Christmas 2 years ago on the idea it gave us more options on cars we could buy. As luck would have it the car we found was also a 72. Obviously not a hp either (came from a New Yorker) but it will be much more than stock when finished.

No I passed on the 400. Will probably regret it someday but if I am going to buy another motor I want it to be a 400 hp and this one wasn't. The 72 440 we bought at Christmas 2 years ago on the idea it gave us more options on cars we could buy. As luck would have it the car we found was also a 72. Obviously not a hp either (came from a New Yorker) but it will be much more than stock when finished.

I could be wrong and someone will correct me if I am the 72-74 motors will not be HP motors or stamped as such. There may be some early cars built in 72 that got 440s that had HP blocks but I'm thinking it would be a standard 400 or 440 block.

I'm going to be looking for a 400 maybe if I buy this 73 Roadrunner and building a stroker motor. The 73 car is just a 318 car not rare and nothing really special about it and as of right now not high dollar cars so it will be something I mod out a little with a motor and enjoy it, if I get it.

keep the 400 in mind if you keep the motor and store it, its date coded.

Oh great. If there were no hp's in 72 then I probably should have bought it. But it wasn't what I would call cheap. Would probably have purchased it if it wasn't tax time and I didn't have to worry about the next four years. But that's another story. Lol

Ya CoronetR/Tguy is wrong.:icon_eek:
I've had 440HP blocks through 76 and 400HP block through 74. Blocks are the same, just stamped HP. Your 72 would have 400HP.

Ya CoronetR/Tguy is wrong.:icon_eek:
I've had 440HP blocks through 76 and 400HP block through 74. Blocks are the same, just stamped HP. Your 72 would have 400HP.

Thanks I thought after 71 they stopped stamping them but that is good info and I learned something. I didn't know they stamped after that hmm now I got to look at motors closser.

I seem to remember having a 74 440 truck block years ago that was stamped HP :shruggy:

If your interior is green, your color choices are pretty limited unless you plan to change that too. Keeping your interior green means you'll have to stay with green or go with a white, silver, gray, or black. Pretty much any other color would look horrendous next to green.

Nice car and can do very nice strokers with 400 block, thats what I am doing........... good luck

I had a 1973 Challenger that was F3 green, it was great color.

Build it the way you want, I have a 1971 Charger SE, originally A4. I'm going to repaint A4, not because it's being "restored", I LOVE the color! The only other color I'd paint it would be Citron Yella, but I don't want a car that's going to blend in in the sea of high impact colors.

Ok so like some have said high impact colours are red/blk/wht so the question is what if my oem colour was red, hmmmm sould I go red or change to non high impact colour, thx

Ultimately the chice is obviously yours but I like to keep rare things original. I don't know how rare this color combo is (I didn't read the entire thread. Somebody might have said what the number are). I had a '71 two tone, Tawny Gold with white top. I chose to paint it Tor Red (like so many others). Kind of wish I had gone back original. I just finished an original GF7 with black vinyl top. I kept it original because it came from the factory with some cool options, air grabber, 4 speed, console mounted cassette, 3.91:1 rear gears. Here's a picture:

RR complete 5-29-13 004.jpg

Thanks for the new green car pictures. I thought this thread had died and really haven't been watching it. I appreciate it!

We have torn the car down and should be ready for a paint and body man (which I am definitely not) in the next week or two. I am trying to take all the pictures I can so we will know what we started with since it appears to be all original body panels and original paint. We have decided to go back with the original colors -- GF3 on the bottom and GF7 on the top. It was actually my son's decision and he decided he would rather have original colors "because how many green two-tone roadrunners do you see at a car show?". It is definitely different, I'll give him that.

Anyway, if he's happy that way I'm all for it.

Color choice is always such a tough decision and whether to keep original or not. I almost painted my Barracuda B5 blue but went back to the original EV2 orange and glad I did, looks sharp with the white interior. When I was looking for a `70 road runner I only considered factory FC7 cars as that is what I wanted. Very cool your son wants to keep it original color combo, I`m sure it will get a lot of attention at shows.

Auto Transport Service
Back