• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decision

Sell it and buy a driver.

you’ll get someone to give you 25 grand for that car. Take the money, add 50K to the 25, and buy a done car.

you will time and money ahead

Since everyone above has said it all, welcome to the disease. It's a wonderful sickness we have for our cars. Since it is your original car, I'd invest in it to the best that your finances allow and have fun.:welcome::drinks:

You have owned it 47 years,,,,Rule #1 take your time to clean everything up,study it from one end to the other. Then see if it turns, then get it running.
rule number 2) Take your time!,,,,,, patience,,,,,see what you really have there.
The car isn't going anywhere.

Welcome from Alabama, a great car. Don't let some of the horror stories above scare you into selling a car you have owned close to 50 years. My 56 Desoto was parked by my parents in 1974 due to brake failure. It sat in various barns and sheds until 2012, when I was finally allowed to get it. The engine was frozen the brakes needed everything. I had the engine free in 3 days. New fuel pump, belts and hoses and running in a week. The brakes took about a month and a half, all new everything. All total running and driving for about $1800. I have spent approximately another 2K on it and it is now a safe dependable driver. I will never restore the car as it was my grandfather's last new car and I like some of his personal touches to the car. The patina is just to my liking.
IMG_3096.jpg
IMG_3096.jpg
20180907_180744.jpg
20200511_103542.jpg

Bienvenido desde Mexico!!! :drinks: nice car, take a look at the proyect and restoration area, plenty of 68 chargers to choose from, just to get you an idea.

Send it to me and I will make it a driver for you.

I very much appreciate the many helpful personal insights and recommendations that I've received today. This is why I joined the forum.

Regarding my 68 Charger, a few details may help to clarify my situation. The car is currently stored in a KY barn while I'm in MD and do not have regular access to it. I thought I might look for an auto restoration shop in KY/IN where I have family. The cost estimates I've seen here are in line with what I expect to get a reliable driver.

A number of folks appear to be 383 fans. Perhaps my memory has faded, but having driven the car for about 8 years before storing it, I was never entirely enamored with the engine. I think that is why I somewhat lean toward a modern crate engine.

The car does have rust issues in the rear quarters. I understand I'll first need to get it out of the barn and have it completely cleaned, then fully inspected to know where I stand. That is step one and will help me decide what direction to go. I will update as I go forward. Thanks!

I am just curious, Is your charger a 383 2bbl or 4bbl car?

I'm sure you're a very industrious fellow. You can do anything you set your mind to.
(Yeah there's some Seinfeld nerds around here...me being one!)

I like the idea of keeping the original drivetrain in play. You could put a stroker kit in the factory block (you'll be rebuilding anyway) and be able to use as mild or wild of a cam as you want, and still have a great cruiser with lots more power than before...for equal or close to what you'd pay for a crate motor. Keeping the car close to factory as far as colors and interior, with some power and driveability upgrades would be my choice unless you want to go for the real 'OE' restoration.
Good luck with it!

My 68 Charger is a 4bbl. If I recall correctly I had frequent issues with the carburetor over the years, requiring constant adjustments until I finally installed a new replacement. Nothing seemed to help. It constantly "bogged down" at low speeds before suddenly smoothing out.

After years of driving fuel injected cars, I've grown to prefer the smooth power they seem to provide. If I were a mechanic I'd probably know why this problem existed. I very much agree that improved drive-ability is high on my wish list. I also want to have my A/C back. I need the cool.

Regarding my thoughts on whether to keep or replace the engine, I think of myself as an example. About ten years ago I suffered sudden aortic heart valve failure which required emergency open heart surgery to replace it. Now my heart is part cow heart and I'm working as good as ever. If that replacement works for me, I'm fine with an engine replacement for my car too.

Welcome to the forum from another Charger owner in Nebraska.
Your fuel system is likely all junk anyway from sitting. Fuel injection for your 68 is a common bolt on now even for your 383. And there are reasonably priced kits to turn your 383 into a 496 or larger:thumbsup:.
It's important to pick a restoration level you can handle. We see too many unfinished projects come up for sale on the forum.

Last edited:
Find a mechanic that will not f-it up. Have them go over the car and get it running and driving then drive the car yourself for a while, the answer will come to you then.

Welcome aboard from Ohio. Go with post#36,IMHO.

A couple of thoughts:

Look at junker up by Chris birdsong on YouTube he has a couple of older vids about buying an old car and what to look for. Your not buying but he points out the areas to look for on a charger.

I bought a charger last year because paint and body was done and it came with almost all the parts to finish it. But I find myself wanting to go slightly different ways on parts or upgrading parts to make it"mine". So I would keep what you have and build from there.

If this were a business decision and your time is worth something (if most of us kept track of our time on the cars we would be happy with min.wage) then buying would be the better way to go but shop around to get what your looking for. Chargers are hot right now and you can get a premium for yours, and if you found the right shop you might be able to trade it in... Then what's your sentimental value worth to your wallet?

Another option is to just buy a charger and see what you want. In today's market you'll be able to get your money back.

IMO

You are in MD. the car is in KY. Unless you find a shop near the car you can trust completely . 1st order of business is have it shipped to you. then find a shop you can visit within a reasonable amount of travel time

Trying to communicate with a shop via long distance relying on them to send quality photos in a reasonable amount of time is a disaster waiting to happen.

I agree with above, if there is any dispute, having the car close by will enable you to reclaim it. if necessary,,,,plus it allows for regular visits.

Auto Transport Service
Back