• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decode 64 Polara IBM Card

Yennes

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:05 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just received the build card from Danielle. I know what XX1 and H4T means but I think I need some help with the other options and codes. Any help appreciated!
IMG_6027.jpeg

Thanks
Yannik

It's best if you do it yourself. First you need a source for 1964 codes. Galen's books or other source. The punched holes represent the number that they are punched through. On the single columns, in most cases add the punched number to the end of the two numbers at the end of the column. That will be the three digit code, which you will have to look up. On the wider columns such as the shipping order number, serial number etc. The punched numbers stand for themselves with no additions. In 1964 most punches represent numbers, but some are letters like paint and interior codes. If you get the rest of it figured out I will explain the letters. If there are no punches in a column then your car does not have that option.

Thank you. I already figured out how to decode it but I need the sources as you said. Where can I find/buy them?

My fender tag is missing, so I can not compare it with the record card. Can you explain how I can transfer the codes from the card to create a fender tag? I do not understand what are the 1234567890 options and the ABC options. Thanks

Post the codes you have figured out on here, and I will decode them. Galen's white books are a good source but I don't think he sells them any more. Might be used ones on ebay etc. You could also try MMC detroit, they should have something

Okay these are the codes I found, hope I did it correct.

What I know:
Paint XX1 - Beige
Trim H4T - Tan

What I do not know:
Serial Number: 6 3 4 5 120846
Body type - 632 (2 door hard top?)
Region - 73
Styling convertible tops - 281
Transmissions - 345
Radios - 362
Air conditioners and heaters 385
Interior items - 411, 413 (1 and 3 are stamped)
Electrical items - 421
Wheel covers - 451
Tires - 543, 550
Control number - 27395
Under ..(can not read).. fleet items - 611, 617 (1 and 7 are stamped)
Route - 642
Route - 652

I tried to find a book or any information but without success :(

Thanks
Yannik

Serial number is the cars VIN, on the driver's side door piller. 6- Dodge V/8. 3-polara. 4-1964. 5-los Angeles assembly plant. 120846 is a sequence number. 632- V/8 dodge polara two door hardtop. 281- mono tone paint. 345- auto trans. 362- deluxe A.M. radio. 385- heater and defroster. 411- front seat belts. 413 foam rubber seat cushion front and rear. 421 electrick clock. 451 deluxe wheel covers. 543- not sure. 550-8.50x14 black wall tires? 611-undercoat with hood insulation pad. 617- anti freeze. The ones I left out, I am not sure about.

Serial number is the cars VIN, on the driver's side door piller. 6- Dodge V/8. 3-polara. 4-1964. 5-los Angeles assembly plant. 120846 is a sequence number. 632- V/8 dodge polara two door hardtop. 281- mono tone paint. 345- auto trans. 362- deluxe A.M. radio. 385- heater and defroster. 411- front seat belts. 413 foam rubber seat cushion front and rear. 421 electrick clock. 451 deluxe wheel covers. 543- not sure. 550-8.50x14 black wall tires? 611-undercoat with hood insulation pad. 617- anti freeze. The ones I left out, I am not sure about.
Wow thank you! You helped me out very well!

If heard of fender tag replacements. How do I know what number of the IBM card comes underneath the correct number or letter on the fender tag?

Unfortunately the car came without one

I don't know who makes fender tags anymore. You would have to have knowledge of the LA. plant configuration, as to where they place the various codes. I don't have that info. Tha bottom line is the same for all plants, which is SO number- Bdy-Trm-Pnt. The other codes are the last digit of the three digit code.

I thought MMC Detroit, David Wise reproduces them. I will write an email.

Thank you very much for all your help!

Is there no info on the card on what engine was installed? It is a 383 installed and I believe it is factory but on the build card the engine section is empty.

If the engine section is empty then the car would have the standard engine for the model, which in your case should be a 318 poly.

okay thank you.

The shipping date was on 6th of November. Does that mean November 1964 or 1963?

On the engine is stamped a V38 1 6.

Is there any number on the engine that shows me if it belongs to the car?

Thanks

Nov. 6 1963. V38 is 1964 383. 1 6 is Jan. 1st 64 engine assembly date. According to that, the engine can't be original because it was built two months after the car was shipped. In your case the scheduled production date and shipping date are the same, which is not always the case. There are no partial vehicle identification numbers stamped into the engines until the 68 model year.

Nov. 6 1963. V38 is 1964 383. 1 6 is Jan. 1st 64 engine assembly date. According to that, the engine can't be original because it was built two months after the car was shipped. In your case the scheduled production date and shipping date are the same, which is not always the case. There are no partial vehicle identification numbers stamped into the engines until the 68 model year.
Do you know if the 64 model year production ran into November 64 or was the line switched over to 65’s by that time?
My Polara trim tag reads S.O. 1114, and the block is stamped 1111, V38, HP. I’m confused about if my car was a Nov63 production or not, because the block is a 64.

Nov. 64 was well into the 65 model year by then. Your 64 engine was assembled Nov. 11 1963. Your cars SPD is Nov. 14 1963.

Nov. 64 was well into the 65 model year by then. Your 64 engine was assembled Nov. 11 1963. Your cars SPD is Nov. 14 1963.
That’s great to know, thanks much for your help.

Auto Transport Service
Back