• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decoding fender tag

squalie

Local time
11:18 PM
Reaction score
I don't seem to see a spot on this site to decode a fender tag. I've looked on other sites and the guide doesn't seem to match up how my tag looks.

Can anyone help a lad out?

Are tags different from different plants?

Last edited:
Yes, tags are different from plant to plant regarding what they actually showed for the cars equipment. The Lynch Rd. cars have the least amount of optional info but have ALL of the trive train info on them. The L.A. built cars used two different fonts used as well.

Post a picture of your fender tag and someone will probably decode it for you.

The bottom line has "E44". As far as I can tell it's a blue-on-blue 318 car.

1969Coronet014.jpg

On the bottom, above the number "B27708", there is a stamped sideways "D".

WE23=1969 Coronet 440
E44=318 engine
D31=auto trans
210=February 10, 1969 scheduled production date
?27708=vehicle order number
B5=Bright Blue lower body
B5=Bright Blue upper body
H2B=High trim grade vinyl bench light blue interior
B7=Dark Blue upper door frame color
1W=? makes no sense, would be white painted top but it is code for B5 upper body color.
probably a typo and missing another code digit. Does it have a vinyl top?
865=318 engine
640=2.76:1 rear axle ratio--opened rear end
080=automatic trans
28144=gate and base
223880=line sequence
9A224729=1969, Lynch Rd. assembly plant, 6 digit V.I.N. sequence number

It looks like it did have a vinyl roof at one time as it has the trim pieces seperating the roof at the body line.

The car has a 440 in it, but it seemed a tad soft, so I'm guessing that's the gears and the rear. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy it as it came into the world the same day I did. Feb 10 is my birthday, so I guess it's a sign...:grin:

That 1W should have something else in front of it to I.D. what it is. Does the car have the original paint? does it have a pin stripe down the side? It could also have been a two tone paint car but the two B5 codes don't indicate that.

It's been painted white -- and not that well.
I took these pictures right after it ran out of gas on the test drive!

1969Coronet010.jpg

1969Coronet004.jpg

1969Coronet011.jpg

1969Coronet012.jpg

1969Coronet007.jpg

1969Coronet009.jpg

has trim and the medallion like it had a vinyl top. So it probably had a white top with the 1W code. It should have still had a top color code even with the vinyl top

696pack & 69runner, thanks for responses! Saves me a ton of time. Now I can go out to the garage and start sanding.....:grin:

If you have the broadcast sheet for the car it will indicate if it is a two tone or vinyl top car. Have you looked for it?

Tem is correct, a vinyl top car would be coded for both B5 on the upper and lower body codes but a two tone car would not, but the code for the vinyl top should be V1W on the tag for a white vinyl top. It was probably just a mis-stamped tag and the V was left off.

On the B/S the code for two tone paint would be V02. For a vinyl top, and a no vinyl top car, it would be V01 between the interior code and the body paint codes.

I keep reading that about the Lynch Road plant. What was the reason they did things so differently?

Well, I have good news and not so good news. I found some more numbers and on the engine id "pad" near the intake has the following:

7 T-440
8 16 2 X

The number on the block is 4006630. Which, unfortunately, tells me it's a 1978 block (I was hoping for the good crank.) The only number I can find on the intake is the firing order, but I assume it's the factory intake as it doesn't look like anything special.

One thing though, and I seriously CANNOT find anywhere with these numbers, is that the radiator is 26" wide with the follwing 2 numbers on top:

If you have the broadcast sheet for the car it will indicate if it is a two tone or vinyl top car. Have you looked for it?

Tem is correct, a vinyl top car would be coded for both B5 on the upper and lower body codes but a two tone car would not, but the code for the vinyl top should be V1W on the tag for a white vinyl top. It was probably just a mis-stamped tag and the V was left off.

On the B/S the code for two tone paint would be V02. For a vinyl top, and a no vinyl top car, it would be V01 between the interior code and the body paint codes.
Lynch road tags drop the V, this car did have a white vinyl top.

Auto Transport Service
Back