• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Deep Port Matching" and other 6 pack Voodoo

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:13 AM
Reaction score
In no way am I suggesting that Hughes "deep port matching" work on a 6 bbl intake is anything but legitimate, quite the contrary- I believe that it is one of a few engine builders that offer a specialized "tweak" of the 6 bbl intake to maximize power in a 440/stroker/built motor.
The reason why I ask is that although he doesn't have a dyno, I respect my local engine builder who recently rebuilt my wife's 421 Pontiac engine, and there are benefits of dealing with a local shop.
On the other hand, one of the main attractions to choosing an out of town builder for my RB stroker project would be those shops that have exhibited "special tuning capabilities" to maximize the performance of the 6 bbl intake setup which is absolutely going to top my stroker motor on my V code Roadrunner. I am aware of the "deep port matching" that Hughes offers although I would like to know more about what that means, and I have also heard about "abrasive flow machining" or "extrude honing" and I wonder if that may also improve the performance of the aluminum 6 bbl intake. Please share your opinions on these matters with an emphasis on improving the performance of the 6 bbl intake itself when used on a stroker RB with aluminum heads, and engine builders who excel in their capabilities of building 6XX HP/6XX TQ stroker motors. Thanks.

Talk to Dwayne Porter. I believe he builds or consults on a few 6 pak motors for the F.A.S.T. class which run very well.
Doug

Thanks Doug. I looked up his info. He has a good following.
Anybody else?

A lot of Hughe's info is self promotion. Intake porting has been done for decades, but there is only so much one can do with that particular intake. It's actually a very good peice on and RB, but it's not a full race intake. Not sure what the expectation is for your engine, but with simple gasket matching I've exceeded 590hp/600tq with a decent cam on pump gas with cleaned up RPMs.

Edit - I'd second Dwayne, especially when running limited parts like the 6bbl, exh manifolds, etc... He is exceedingly sharp.

Great replies, thanks. 590HP/600TQ is very close to 650/650 and those are just numbers in my head. I would imagine that to have a fat, flat, high torque curve the numbers may wind up 630/600 or 645/590...etc. I will follow-up with Dwayne this week. Thanks. I have seen some very nice HP and TQ numbers from a six pack compared to "race" intakes and modern performance carbs...the 6 pack is no sloutch, and in my case, no other intake would be an option (short of a 3 X2 injection system).

Intake porting is more of a flow bench type job then one a dyno would be used for. If your shop has a flow bench they should be able to do a good job of increasing and equalizing port flow for all cylinders. This is the name of the game for what you are after.

Tim Borrall 440 079.jpg
Great replies, thanks. 590HP/600TQ is very close to 650/650 and those are just numbers in my head. I would imagine that to have a fat, flat, high torque curve the numbers may wind up 630/600 or 645/590...etc. I will follow-up with Dwayne this week. Thanks. I have seen some very nice HP and TQ numbers from a six pack compared to "race" intakes and modern performance carbs...the 6 pack is no sloutch, and in my case, no other intake would be an option (short of a 3 X2 injection system).
A flat torque curve is possible with the six pack. This is a dyno graph of a stock stroke 440 running a deep port matched six pack intake that we did here at La Roy Engines. The deep port match on a RPM dual plane intake didn't take effect during our 496 stroker dyno tests until about 5,500-6,200 rpm where we started seeing around a 15 HP increase.

Intake porting is more of a flow bench type job then one a dyno would be used for. If your shop has a flow bench they should be able to do a good job of increasing and equalizing port flow for all cylinders. This is the name of the game for what you are after.
That is of course a good idea. However with the vast differences in port lengths and shapes in the 6-bbl manifold, equalizing port flows would an almost insurmountable and very expensive task.

Thanks for contributing Jim! You are one of the builder's that I was alluding to as having a track record of building a strong 6 bbl stroker. You are 1 of 3 out of town builders that I am considering, but I have added my local builder to the mix, mainly because he has kept his word on the 421 TriPower that he did for me, and I have learned that he is knowledgeable beyond what I realized before. I'm still some time and stacks of cash away from the day when I can make it happen.

There's only so much your gonna do to a six pack manifold. I gasket matched mine and took it as far in as I could. Smoothed out and radiused any sharp edges under the carb bores. Took me a few hours and a six pack, (of beer). Went 10.95 first time to the track with the mufflers on. Only thing I've noticed on the stroker is the distribution isn't nearly as good as a stock stroke motor. Like said above, it would be daunting or next to impossible to try and even it all out perfectly. It will work though.
IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2379.JPG

I had Hughes CNC port my Stealth heads, and i had them do a RPM to match the head work, i havent had time to run the engine yet, but if the RPM deep porting in not showing until 5500, thats fine with me, thats where my Lunati Roller is supposed to be in the sweet spot... im not 100% convinced i got good value for my $$$, but i didnt want my intake to be a bottle neck for heads flowing over 300 CFM

Does anyone know what ports on the six pack intake which is the most restrictive?
Had a look on my intake yesterday and the short turn on the lower ports seemed to be very sharp/short.

Auto Transport Service
Back