• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Denso Spark Plugs

Houle #382

Local time
2:07 PM
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has tried Denso spark plugs in a 440. If you have what number plug did you use and what was the results

I'm using them in mine, but I have aluminum heads. Stock head 440 looks like a W16PR-U. That's a middle of the road heat range, I'd say that's a good starting point.

Interesting read. Beyond the question of materials is how the spark jumps the gap. Denso uses U groove in their ground electrode, NGK puts a V-groove in the center electrode. I found over the years these changes make a difference In performance. I was a Champion guy for a long time, but once I switched to Denso I never looked back. NGK is the only plug we use at my bike shop.

I’m Brand loyal here. The 69 crisp idle made me stick with NGK’s for 25 years. 440 to the Hellcat and everything in between.

Plenty of good spark plug comparison vids on YouTube. Here is one but like all they are pretty subjective.

I’m Brand loyal here. The 69 crisp idle made me stick with NGK’s for 25 years. 440 to the Hellcat and everything in between.

Yeah that's what I have been running for a few years the XR5's, I have tried Champion which I didn't have any luck with, got sick of changing plugs a couple times a year the Autolite 85's and 303's and didn't care for either one then AC Delco they were better than the Autolite but nothing is as good as the NGK's.
For now I might try the NGK XR5IX Iridium, you never know until you try something new but would like to try a Denso plug sooner or later.

Interesting presentations, especially the single cylinder engine with the glass (?) Cylinder head.....but the presenter should have conducted the tests on a dyno under load to provide some real time data...like HP produced or torque generated. Showing the spark produced without any compression, just screwed in thd head is, IMO, useless. The personal comparisons noted, again, are subjective (?) based on the owners preferences.....NGK vs Autolite vs Champion vs AC. Sort of like asking: which beer is best or which oil is best or which wax provides the best shine or which spark plugs are best.....it depends on ???? Is price or availability a factor or results or ??? the determination.
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back