• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440bb 40psi cyl6 not firing help!!

Crust flakes that fell from old valve cover cork gasket. Driver valve cover won’t come off! Either got to move the motor or the brake booster

Pic^

image.jpg

Put it back on at the front, slide it forward then tip the other way or roll up. The only rocker I had to unbolt a motor for was a 70's straight six Rambler.

Removed brake booster and got the cover off. Found these shims between the rocker shaft and the head. Why would that be there? doesn’t look right

image.jpg

pushrods don't just fall into the valley... i would at least make sure the cam lobe is still there, can do that with the intake on..
Even if the cam is wore down to the base circle the pushrod shouldn't just pop out.
Likely it was never installed correctly.

Should I just throw it all back together with the shims and see how she acts? What about the low cyl pressure in #3 anything I can do to diagnose while covers are off? I am done working on it for the night! Will continue tomorrow, thanks everyone

You can put a tablespoon of oil in #3 and redo the compression test but from the sound of it it's likely a valve leaking.
It may clear up after running it otherwise the head needs to come off. It won't make much power at 90 psi.

Should I just throw it all back together with the shims and see how she acts? What about the low cyl pressure in #3 anything I can do to diagnose while covers are off? I am done working on it for the night! Will continue tomorrow, thanks everyone
You can. Then with the covers off just crank it for a while and watch every rocker. If it all looks ok put the covers on and run it.

I think I would have moved the throttle linkage and kick down before I moved the booster, and flipped the cover the other way......

It's all alluding to a possible stuck valve, pushrod fell out, lifter popped up. Side benefit; the other bad cylinder has stuck valve issues. Pull both rocker shish kabobs and check valve heights with a straight edge

It's all alluding to a possible stuck valve, pushrod fell out, lifter popped up. Side benefit; the other bad cylinder has stuck valve issues. Pull both rocker shish kabobs and check valve heights with a straight edge
Will do when I get home this afternoon….might I add that this truck had sat for about 4-5 years without running.

The lifter plunger may have leaked down. On start up there could be enough clearance to allow the pushrod to come out. How long had the engine been setting since run?
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back