• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DETROITERS: Alter Bridge?

Local time
5:52 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know where the Alter Bridge is in Detroit? I’ve heard many stories about many dudes jumping it successfully and some unsuccessfully (oil pan meets crank). Maybe more popular with motorcycles but i would bet a few b bodies flew over it after a couple of Stroh’s…

Apparently there was a crappy 2000s band that took the name so all my searching always leads to the band…is the bridge still there? Trying to locate it and convince a friend to jump it for old times sake

Mark Tremonti is the guitar player in Alter Bridge. Great player!

Live in the suburbs outside of Detroit my whole life and have frequented that area many times and don’t know of any bridge on Alter road that the stories you heard pertain to.
Alter road is well known for another reason though, it’s a very “visual” line that divides Detroit from the affluent neighborhoods of Grosse Pointe where even streets are dead ended to discourage travel from Detroit side into the Grosse Pointe side.

We used to go down there, usually after drinking to see if we could get air borne. You didn’t need to go very fast and everyone would hit their heads on the roof and end up all over the place. You could easily twist up a car pretty good. We were just kids in junk cars. The car most often used was a 68 Coronet wagon, followed by a 67 Catalina.

Last edited:
Also, like mentioned, it is the municipal boundary between Detroit and Grosse Pointe. If you are traveling on Jefferson avenue, turn east (toward the lake). Don’t know if it’s still there. Hard to imagine that it is. If it is, I’m sure it’s not what it was.

Last edited:
:rofl: Crappy 2000's band? Ok...to each their own. Tremonti named the band after Alter Bridge as he's from Detroit.

I’m consulting with the expert in this, my buddy grew up at Jefferson and Alter, he will know about it. I’ll post back with his reply

So far. I asked him for the cross streets

ED7B454B-D8DB-4226-8559-205DBD670458.png

thank you ginny , that’s quite a story … there is a set of rr tracks local w the same result . my buddies uncle took them at high speed back in the day . he ended up , car n all , in an office building . after going thru the brick wall . you can still see the repair when you drive by .

When you ask Dale for any history of something in his old neighborhood, you typically get all the history!

E4BF6ED8-F291-434B-85AD-F094B699E2B8.png

I think it’s further down. I remember driving down for a bit, turning around, then making a hard pass going back toward Jefferson.

It was a long time ago, mid 70s.

I believe it's the Ashland Hump. That's what I remember. But that was a long time ago.

Last edited:
Ah yea Ashland Hump rings a bell…my low slung 7 quart wouldn’t stand a chance. I can imagine the ungodly sounds and sparks lighting up that street at 2am and then the sound of exhaust leaks on the way out!

Thanks for the research I’m sure they’ve dumbed it down over the years…we can’t have fun things anymore.

Hmm, never heard of it. Now I want to go see if it is still there and go play Dukes of Hazzard.

Auto Transport Service
Back