• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diagnosing multiple misfires in a computer controlled car

Valves that have tight lash are not noisy,just the opposite they are quieter.You can bounce this back and forth all you want.You could have had them adjusted by now and eliminated that as the possible problem Just my thought on this. And it won't cost anything orther than maybe a cover gasket and your time.Any tight ones will most likely be the exhaust and they probably won't have zero lash.
Well worded.

man, you went ALL THE WAY down the rabbit hole........ any way you can swap an ECU from a junker and see what happens?

your under hood shot looks a little like my kitchen after the wife cooks a simple meal :eek:

I watched a YouTube video last night. A guy tested voltage to the coil packs. I tested these. Unplug each connector:
99D3F74B-97BE-4898-82CD-099FA9D364DE.jpeg

Cylinders 1-4 read as follows.

A3D2144E-920A-44B7-B14B-82A409251D11.jpeg

C10E5A0D-057B-432D-A3C0-EB530DF9B59D.jpeg

17727DE3-2A07-4681-A804-BBBCA6FB18F0.jpeg

4EED10CC-43EE-4C16-98E5-03E95E197411.jpeg

They all read the same so the wiring must be okay.

Remember the old saying “I found it.. it was in the LAST place I looked” ?
It sounds funny but the reason is because once you FIND something, you quit looking for it.
Nobody says “HERE it is, but I’m going to look for another hour.
My point?
Maybe the guys that suggested valve adjustment were onto something.
This engine is dual cam, 4 dang valves per cylinder. It looks far more complicated than my Harlan Sharp rockers in the Charger.
I may put it off until tomorrow.

Edit:
Lookie what I just found.

Intake cover with “I-VTEC” label.
94B0D2F0-8C12-4696-8043-408EE7E6BCE4.jpeg

Two nuts to remove.
E34F2E93-1936-4C53-80B1-167199CE594D.jpeg

Then….

Last edited:
do the codes come back "Immediately" upon start up?

you did clear the codes, right? disconnect the battery for a few mins? ....... silly questions, I know

AA853031-1E4D-4752-9A9E-3D83EAA41151.jpeg

#3 injector.

631375C0-ADB3-45DC-93A9-427A1A39BFC5.jpeg

Hmmm.
I’ll solder in another yellow wire so they match and report back.

do the codes come back "Immediately" upon start up?

you did clear the codes, right? disconnect the battery for a few mins? ....... silly questions, I know
I try to remember to clear them after each change. The same 3 come back within 60 seconds of run time.

Nice find. I’m surprised that it had no injector code. But model to model and as years go by, the diagnostic codes and code sensitivity changes. But happy to see an obvious fault.

Good news.
The shoddy, temporary repair worked. The engine idled normally, no codes came up and it seems to idle in gear as smooth as before.
I’m going to go back to the junkyard and cut out a longer section of injector wiring and solder that in.
It is strange that one failing cylinder affected the others.

Good news.
The shoddy, temporary repair worked. The engine idled normally, no codes came up and it seems to idle in gear as smooth as before.
I’m going to go back to the junkyard and cut out a longer section of injector wiring and solder that in.
It is strange that one failing cylinder affected the others.

maybe 1 and 3 share that yellow wire......... congrats, that's the **** that'll make you crazy

Hot dang! Right on.
What's impressive overall to me is that you're elbows deep in my Vintage Air A/C install madness, then the wife's CRV thing crops up right after clearing dead trees from a windstorm and taking the doggies to the vet, you pick and pulled at the junkyard, tried a few things and kept up the motivation to resolve the issue in less than 1 week's time. That turnaround time is mighty impressive. That **** would have given me a headache and I would have procrastinated and taken a month to fix it. Nice work.

By the way, I don't remember until today's recent photos that the car had rodent damage. That looked bad. I hope our mopars in storage there aren't in harms way...

The wood guys joke cracked me up!

surprised you didn't see that much earlier........ wood guys :rolleyes:

:poke:
I didn't remove the intake/injector cover until today. I saw a YouTube video where a guy did a valve adjustment and when he pulled the cover, I saw the injector wiring and plugs and JUST remembered to look there. Lucky me!

Hot dang! Right on.
What's impressive overall to me is that you're elbows deep in my Vintage Air A/C install madness, then the wife's CRV thing crops up right after clearing dead trees from a windstorm and taking the doggies to the vet, you pick and pulled at the junkyard, tried a few things and kept up the motivation to resolve the issue in less than 1 week's time. That turnaround time is mighty impressive. That **** would have given me a headache and I would have procrastinated and taken a month to fix it. Nice work.

By the way, I don't remember until today's recent photos that the car had rodent damage. That looked bad. I hope our mopars in storage there aren't in harms way...

The wood guys joke cracked me up!
Thank you. I hate to lose, I hate to give up. It isn't a matter of the money, it is that I hate to let something beat me.
Here is a weird thing....the rodents don't seem to care about the classic cars. I have 5 cars parked outside that have been "outside cars" for several years and they have no damage. The late models are the only ones that have been targeted. Even my truck....

IMG_3136.JPG

I've found rat turds under the hood but nothing has been chewed.

The Challenger had chew marks on the strut caps:

1708757124708.jpeg

There was a guy on the Dodge Ram forum that had chewed wiring in his truck bad enough that the harness had to be replaced. He played the victim and ranted about how automakers intentionally switched to soy based insulation on the wires for the SOLE purpose of attracting rodents so they could cash in on selling replacement harnesses....
Yeah....

01 face 4.gif

Last edited:
Thanks you. I hate to lose, I hate to give up. It isn't a matter of the money, it is that I hate to let something beat me.
Here is a weird thing....the rodents don't seem to care about the classic cars. I have 5 cars parked outside that have been "outside cars" for several years and they have no damage. The late models are the only ones that have been targeted. Even my truck....

View attachment 1614985

I've found rat turds under the hood but nothing has been chewed.

The Challenger had chew marks on the strut caps:

View attachment 1614987

There was a guy on the Dodge Ram forum that had chewed wiring in his truck bad enough that the harness had to be replaced. He played the victim and ranted about how automakers intentionally switched to soy based insulation on the wires for the SOLE purpose of attracting rodents so they could cash in on selling replacement harnesses....
Yeah....

View attachment 1614988
The farmers complain about that with their half million dollar combines. Lots of chewing going on in those.

Greg, do you have any bird feeders around the area? Spilled seed brings the vermin in. If you do have them, boot the feeders. Had to teach my honey about this. Blew me off till we got Mice into the house.

Interesting read, not surprised at the discovery, I wish I would have read this before now. A friend with a crv had this same circumstance... Sorry. Nevertheless, Toyotas and Hondas have a propensity for rodents chewing wires, their wiring is organic, as opposed to pretoleum-based. While any vehicle can suffer from pest damage, as most of us have encountered over the years, the use of soy-based parts in latter vehicles seems to have exascerbated this problem. While previously, a vehicle may have sat for extended periods of time for the critters to inflict their damage, it only takes an overnight on these more modern autos to be victimized.

Auto Transport Service
Back