• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diagnosing multiple misfires in a computer controlled car

Interesting read, not surprised at the discovery, I wish I would have read this before now. A friend with a crv had this same circumstance... Sorry. Nevertheless, Toyotas and Hondas have a propensity for rodents chewing wires, their wiring is organic, as opposed to pretoleum-based. While any vehicle can suffer from pest damage, as most of us have encountered over the years, the use of soy-based parts in latter vehicles seems to have exascerbated this problem. While previously, a vehicle may have sat for extended periods of time for the critters to inflict their damage, it only takes an overnight on these more modern autos to be victimized.

been awake 10 minutes, and already learned something today..... thank you

been awake 10 minutes, and already learned something today..... thank you
Neither did I, until a few years ago. In recent years while still working, I noticed people with Toyota Camry's seemed to have more commonly suffered engine harness chewed apart by rodents. Don't know how much creedence is in this, but research has shown lawsuits have been filed on this matter. I've been told, even parts other than wire shielding are prone to this.

just stumbled across this

Rodents incapacitate millions in eco-friendly military equipment in Ukraine: the unforeseen problem​

MSN

Unlike that whiner on the Dodge Ram truck forum, I don't think the switch to soy based wire insulation was intended to be a revenue generator. Ten bucks and a backrub say that it was some government mandate to reduce emissions, the insulation used to be plastic which requires petroleum/oil. I doubt it costs the automakers LESS to make the soy based stuff.

Weaponry systems in Ukraine, many of which were supplied by European countries, have been rendered unworkable, not due to Russian interference, but because of damage caused by mice and other rodents. Seemingly, these creatures have developed a preference for cable insulation made of corn fiber over synthetic materials. This predilection leads to malfunctioning electrical installations, rendering the expensive equipment essentially worthless, and requiring rapid overhauling.

Rats and mice were dying from cancer after they ate the old style wiring insulation.
:eek:

Well that's good news! Visual inspection for the win.

I'm just trying to help Greg's thread get to 200 posts before I delete it.
:lol:

ratchewingwire.jpg

Last edited:
Good job on finding the problem.

Moral of the story, methodical torubleshooting beats throwing parts at a problem.

Great advice. A service that Honda recommends,guess you know more that the engineers that designed and built the engines

Auto Transport Service
Back